Sign in to follow this  

Rider injured at Juniper

Just wondering if anyone knows his condition. They used a helicopter to get him out. Hope he's ok.

I seen it on the news that it was a 14 year old boy with no proctive equipment (not positive if that is true). He broke his back :applause:

This has been a problem at Horn ORV as well. I have personally stopped two different people tearing around with no helmet. What do I get for my trouble? Yeah, nothing but attitude and told that I am an out of towner and to piss off.

If this was an under aged kid, then I am very pissed at his family for allowing this to happen.

Not trying to be the devil's advocate. But, you can still break your back with all the gear on if your'e riding too fast and over your head. Personally my 12yo wears every piece of gear available including a neck collar. But it still worries me if he is safe.

I was part of the crew that packaged him and got him on the copter. I do not know the status of his condition or exactly what injuries he received other than the primary complaint being his back.

I was part of the crew that packaged him and got him on the copter. I do not know the status of his condition or exactly what injuries he received other than the primary complaint being his back.

I realize stuff happens and can happen even when wearing your gear. But the back side of my chest protector has some huge gouges in it that would of been bone and flesh if I had not been wearing it.

Since you packaged him up: did you see if he was he wearing any gear? For him we can all pray for a speedy and full recovery but for others this can serve as a wake up call to be very careful and wear your gear. It could make the difference for the rest of your life.

Not trying to be the devil's advocate. But, you can still break your back with all the gear on if your'e riding too fast and over your head. Personally my 12yo wears every piece of gear available including a neck collar. But it still worries me if he is safe.

True...but I think the odds are a little more in your favor when your geared up as opposed to not.

I took my 5 yo son out to the desert behind Pleasant Valley track yesterday. We got to a cool area (for that place) where there's some little tracks and jumps. My son wanted to chase another kid on a tt50 around the track so I told him to go for it. He's not on the track for 1/2 of a lap when a teenager with no helmet on a Yami 250/450 is doing jumps and nearly lands on Ryan. Then the helmet less quad rider(s) appeared. I told him that we needed to leave and we rode away. If these guys don't care about their own melon, how can I trust them to care about my son's?

BAck to the topic, I hope the kid's ok.

Since you packaged him up: did you see if he was he wearing any gear? difference for the rest of your life.[/quoTE]

I can tell you that blue jeans and a T Shirt was his riding clothes with a helmet. Anything else was removed along with his helmet by the time I got on scene. This was a case of a inexperienced rider not being familar or respectful of the terrain or MC and simply went off a drop off landing on his front wheel then launching over the bars.

When did this happen?

I was there yesterday (sunday). It was a little frightening to see some of the riders there who were severely lacking basic skills that any rider should have.

Also there were several times where I saw riders cutting across main trails, and not looking to see if anyone else was coming.

When was it? We were there and didn't see anything. Big area though. I noticed alot of people ridding very fast in areas that were populated. It was my fist time there. I need a paddle if I go again, and I will go on mondays from now on. Too congested on sunday. Our thoughts and prayrs go out to the fallen ridder and his family

Saturday around 1pm big dunes by the second parking area.

For all those that are interested.........It really helps my job if you know where someone went down, east of the 2nd parking area, east or west of the road, double power lines, etc. GPS works wonders if you have them. Believe it or not, we had a person get lost out there overnight a few years back. Walk to the top of a hill and get your bearings before you leave your rig and a couple of times during the ride.

The first parking area is at the end of Perterson, not by the gate. The second parking area is up the hill from the first parking area, west of the big dunes. The fence line to the east is the boundry to no mans land, stay out or big fine. The north, west and south are all boundried by fields, stay out of these, but use them for reference points. If you crash on the west side, it might be closer to get you out another way other than out Petersen, let dispatch know.

Hope this helps, remember to scan the distance looking for any signs of oncoming riders.

Most of all stay safe. I would rather meet you on the trail than cleaning you out of the sand.

Saturday around 1pm big dunes by the second parking area.

For all those that are interested.........It really helps my job if you know where someone went down, east of the 2nd parking area, east or west of the road, double power lines, etc. GPS works wonders if you have them. Believe it or not, we had a person get lost out there overnight a few years back. Walk to the top of a hill and get your bearings before you leave your rig and a couple of times during the ride.

The first parking area is at the end of Perterson, not by the gate. The second parking area is up the hill from the first parking area, west of the big dunes. The fence line to the east is the boundry to no mans land, stay out or big fine. The north, west and south are all boundried by fields, stay out of these, but use them for reference points. If you crash on the west side, it might be closer to get you out another way other than out Petersen, let dispatch know.

Hope this helps, remember to scan the distance looking for any signs of oncoming riders.

Most of all stay safe. I would rather meet you on the trail than cleaning you out of the sand.

Good tips, some more (sometimes common sence is not all that common):

Stay in groups, with at least one veteren ridder who know the area.

first person in line waits for the slowest ridder, (have the slowest lead if possible).

The main thing is to stay together and never leave a ridder alone. If you must ride alone, (try not to) have a GPS and cell phone. (sometimes having just one of those is useless, and if you are hurt bad enough both are a waste, bring a buddy to be safe).

Never ride over your ablilitis or push newbies beyond there experience.

We have all done some of these if not all, taken chances, I would rather live to ride another weekend, then get hurt or worce today.

I rode out there today for the first time with someone that knew the area and I can see where it would be easy to get turned around for a bit.

Some of those dunes had a much bigger dropoff then I would have thought, and it kept me on my toes when riding across them. I just played it safe and still had fun. Hope the rider that was hurt is doing better.

we were there sunday as well and didnt see anything but we got there pretty late. It was way congested on sunday, worse than i'v ever seen. May have been because the horn track was so chewed up alot of people went to juniper instead (like us). trhe wind sucked but was good otherwise

Has anyone heard an up-date how the kid is doing? :applause: