Sign in to follow this  

I need some advice if I switch to a 250

Hi guys, I currently ride a yzf426 and I've decided its time for an upgrade. I'm considering getting a 250 over a 450 as this is what most of my mates ride. Is there a particular model which was a large improvement over the previous years? (Like the 06 450 was). I'll be buying 2nd hand so what would be some useful mods to look out for? Thanks in advance:thumbsup:

I went from an 02' 426 to the 06' 250 and absolutely love it.

If you're a 200lb'er like myself, you will want to look into hot cams. The bike is much more fun to ride now. It is a night and day difference going from the 426 to the 250, so glad i did it.

If you ride in any deep sand you will probably want the bigger bike. My yz250f hates trying to drag my 205lb butt through deep sand. My buddies on their 426/450's are just gone when we hit that stuff.

Charles

Thanks guys, power is the main thing I am worried about so I'll have a burn on few 250's at tomorrow nights meet. Can anyone say how it would handle compared to the 06/07 450's.

Cheers

I would get a 250 w/ white bros or fmf pipe. I got an 04' yz250f w/ white bros E2 exhaust, and its awesome. It pulls a lot more than my buds 04' CRF250R. I have heard different things with the aluminum frames, some say they dont handle well, some say they are great. I like the frame on my 04'. Yea it may be a few pounds heavier, but it feels great. One more thing i like better on the yzf than my buds crf.