Sign in to follow this  

steel vs. aluminum frame

I was wondering from a riders perspective how much better the aluminum frame really is... Is it only to save weight, or does it help out with handling? any feekback is appreciated.

Depends on the riding. I do mostly desert riding and it is not that big of a deal to have an aluminum frame. Even trail riding you cant tell much of a difference. I think on a track it would be noticeable though.

Depends on the riding. I do mostly desert riding and it is not that big of a deal to have an aluminum frame. Even trail riding you cant tell much of a difference. I think on a track it would be noticeable though.

So there aren't switchbacks in trail riding and turns?

I went trail riding yesterday, and got the chance to ride my brothers 01 with 03 plastics, while he took my bike for a spin. The difference is purely night and day.

It's like with his bike, you have to fight the bike to put it where you want it. Especially in the switchback sections. The 06, you can just flick it around so easy. I got tired faster on his bike, than I did mine.

We rode trails all day.

What's great is there isn't a lot of vibration like the Honda frames and twitchy handling, because of the cast extruded parts in the frame.

• Like 1