motor oil ok?

Nope, can't use the castrol. It's has certain friction modifiers that will cause your clutch to slip. You need a synthetic oil that is designed to be run where the oil lubes the clutch and motor. I run Amsoil synthestic motorcycle oil.

Look for an oil that is JASO MA rated, and is NOT labeled API ECII, or "Energy Conserving".

I would use a motorcycle specific oil to be safe

I use Pennzoil's outdoor motorcycle 10w40 in my bike, zero problems

The trick is to use a motorcycle specific oil and change the oil frequently, like 3-4 hours, I think that is more important than buying the more expensive full synthetic oils and leaving them in for 8 hours.

doesnt it matter wat temp you ride in? in the summer here in nj its around 75-100 degrees but spring like 60-75 should i always run the same weight oil? or get thicker or thinner?

In the summer time I run 20w50 and when its a little cooler out I use the 10w40

Edit: For the oil filter, I would replace it every 15 hours or sooner.

The Rotella T synthetic is available for about 16 bucks for a gallon. Works great, doesn't interfere the clutch, and from the looks of my old bike, it lubricates really well. If you also look at oil analysys new, it's up there with a lot of motorcycle specific oils, some of them are worse!

Looking at the difference between its new and old oil analysis, it stays within it's wieght rating really good.

I even left my bike off for 3 days and checked the valves. There was still a boatload of oil up there.

Shell even states that Rotella is really good for motorbikes.

It doesn't need to say Motorcycle on it to be good, you need to look at the genetic makeup, not the name...

Question here, and I am not asking for a religious answer, just some fact if anyone has real world performance data:

I have been looking in to oil a lot lately thinking my use of Motul 300V might not be a good idea due to it's 92PPM of Moly. Almost every oil contains some moly, but most of the "non-moly" oils contain less than 5PPM (almost none essentially).

Yamaha (and other too) state the use of JASO approved oil is a requirement. most of the Shell Rotella oils I found at Walmart do not meet this standard. It has something to do with Ash content etc. Since so many people are the "Follow the manual" types, and I am personally not, I want to know this:

Do you have find any dark areas past the rings when using Shell Rotella??? Just darkness, not actual build up. I find none when using Motul, and the 300V is JASO certified meaning it does not contain X amount of Ash and it will not cause clutch slippage, but maybe Shell Rotella is just as good and the whole ash thing is a myth?

Just curious if anyone can help.

Thanks!

rootuser,

don't worry about ash.

what you should worry about is keeping an oil in your motor way past its change time due to the price you paid for it.

this motor will run just fine on (let's do some quick math -> 0.79 x 4 = $3.16 per GALLON) oil.

and once again (# 6.022x10^23), no more really needs to be said about oil.

No, this is actually about the ash content in the oil itself. It cannot have more than 1.2% Ash content to be consider JASO certified. Shell Rotella Synthetic does not meet this standard, it has 1.47% Ash content.

My question is, if i were to "Follow the manual" I couldn't use Shell Rotella oil, but really, does it actually make a real world difference?

What about those dark spots past the rings? Ever seen em? It would look like wear, it would just be darker than the ring was when new from what I understand. I have never seen it personally.

Thanks SUnruh good point. I figure I change the oil so often it doesn't matter. I use Motul 300V currently and I change the oil every ride and throw the air filter out every other ride hehe. Totally overkill I know, but that's just me. I can also eat off the head it so clean, even after hours and hours and hours :applause:

I might make the switch to the Shell product as it is just so much cheaper, but I had partial sponorship from Motul back in the day its just hard to step away from a group that treated you well.