Sign in to follow this  

New KTM 450 EXC Owner Here..

Brought my new baby home yesterday. I went from a KX 450 to this. The KX is for sale if anyone knows anyone looking. Jersey is a very restrictive state for off road vehicles so when I saw a street legal racer I had to get it! One thing I notice is that she stalls alot initially. It is cold here, so im wondering if that has something to do with it. I also bought the JD jet kit from the dealer, that should help, right?

Anyway, I love the lines on this bike... cant wait to get it plated tommorow so I can waive at the po po as I pass them :applause:

I also want to get some kind of bag to mount on the back fender to carry my wallet and stuff. Any suggestions?

Here she is :applause:

HPIM1107.jpg

congrats on the new bike. with the cold weather, your bike is way too lean, and yes the JD jet kit will fix that. i have a Moose fender bag that i like alot. also, check out the enduro engineering catalog.

congrats on the new bike. with the cold weather, your bike is way too lean, and yes the JD jet kit will fix that. i have a Moose fender bag that i like alot. also, check out the enduro engineering catalog.

I just installed the jet kit and can tell the difference immediately. Thanks for the advice. Cant wait to get this thing plated tommorow :applause:

Be sure to check out KTMtalk.com.

Lots of help over there.. Look up COdan over there for a fender bag. He makes the best...

I personally like the small Moose tube bag, the large is to big. Fender bags are a pain if your not over 6' tall.

May I suggest you use a fanny pack for the little tools and such that are needed. And a fender bag is not the place to put your wallet.

I personally like the small Moose tube bag, the large is to big. Fender bags are a pain if your not over 6' tall.

May I suggest you use a fanny pack for the little tools and such that are needed. And a fender bag is not the place to put your wallet.

I am 6' .5" an I know what you mean about the bag being there and swinging the leg over the rear fender. THe fanny bag may be an option. Why not keep the wallet in the fender bag? ALot of times when I ride I have on MX pants with no pockets and now with this bike I need to have my license with me in the places I plan to ride.

THanks for any advice.

I am 6' .5" an I know what you mean about the bag being there and swinging the leg over the rear fender. THe fanny bag may be an option. Why not keep the wallet in the fender bag? ALot of times when I ride I have on MX pants with no pockets and now with this bike I need to have my license with me in the places I plan to ride.

THanks for any advice.

A lot of us keep the DOT paper work for the bike in a zip lock bag next to the battery. It is always there and stays dry, just remove the filter cover when needed.

In my years I have seen tools and such on the trail, rear bags that were left open, rear bags come off. I even picked up a wallet the other year. It's your call!

I keep my wallet and phone in the fanny pack, it's always there with me on are off the bike and easy to double check with out stopping. Some guys use there Camel back, again your call.

I have two of the dirt bike gear bags, one on the LC4E and the other on the EXC, use the inner bag so when flipping bikes, just pull out all the tools in the inner bag and swop over. Brilliant! Well made bags. My friend also has same bag no problems.

Nice looking machine.

I'm trying to decide between the 450 EXC and the 525 EXC. The weight of the 400, 450 and 525 is approximately the same, but I've read that trail riders prefer the 400 or 450 over the 525. What factors made you choose the 450?

Greg

Nice looking machine.

I'm trying to decide between the 450 EXC and the 525 EXC. The weight of the 400, 450 and 525 is approximately the same, but I've read that trail riders prefer the 400 or 450 over the 525. What factors made you choose the 450?

Greg

Hi Greg,

I did the research and found the same thing to be true that you did. First thing for me was "street legal" from the manufacturer. NJ is a tough place to ride. It boiled down to the 525 or 450. I really wanted something that feels light and easy to manage in the trail. Im not a pro rider or anything so the little extra power that comes with the 525 is no big deal to me.

I dont think ill use all of the stock power in the 450, but if I do there are ways to get a few extra ponies out of her.

Im taking it out on its maiden voyage Saturday. Ill post my thoughts afterwards.

Joe

Hi Joe,

It sounds like NJ and CA have similar licensing regulations.

Greg

I just bought an EXC 450 today. The owner of the store said they need a little warm-up time, even here in California, so I would guess that the cold back east would increase the need.

Did you consider getting the 525EXC? I was in a northern California store and the salesman told me that the 450EXC would feel "lighter" than the 525EXC on the trail. Given that they weight the same I don't get his point.

I'd also like to know what the idling, first gear "creeping" speed is. I've considered replacing the EXC final gearing with the XC final gearing to reduce the creeping speed.

I'm thinking of getting a 525 EXC model. Is a little under 8400 with tax and tags a good price in PA? All I could get is this for a cash price, no trade. And I don't want to trade or finance. Straight cash deal. I looked at KTM's website and they don't list retail prices.

BTW the salesman at first told me they only made a 450, no 525. This has made me question the shop.:applause: If this shop seems high anyone have any one I should look up?

Thanx guys

I'm thinking of getting a 525 EXC model. Is a little under 8400 with tax and tags a good price in PA? All I could get is this for a cash price, no trade. And I don't want to trade or finance. Straight cash deal. I looked at KTM's website and they don't list retail prices.

BTW the salesman at first told me they only made a 450, no 525. This has made me question the shop.:applause: If this shop seems high anyone have any one I should look up?

Thanx guys

You can get MSRP prices here: http://www.ktmcyclehutt.com/ktm_new_bike_prices.htm

The 525 is $8298. The price you got is fair since it includes tax and shipping/prep and doc fees. Does it also include motor vehicle? If so, sounds like you are getting a very fair deal.

I just bought a 450 for $7100 OTD but I had to pay tax in NJ which was 500 + MV... I ended up giving DMV $567. Not to mention I drove 6.5 hours each way yo get the bike.

Nice looking machine.

Greg

I got a chance to ride both the 07 525 and 450 exc. The 450 does seem lighter and more manuverable. I believe this has to do with the fly wheel. There both great bikes.