CR 80 forks??

don't bother, i went through this myself with my 230, go with some bbr springs, race tech emulators and some heavier oil. you ll save a ton of money.

Well will they bolt up to a 150f no problem? I can get em for 100 bux so i think its a good deal,just need to know if it will bolt up.

They don't bolt right up. The best (read Most Expensive) option is to get the kit from Reger Engineering. http://www.regerengineering.com. The kit is about $600 total.

I just got my kit (the Works rear shock is about to be ordered), and I am eagerly awaiting spring! It lets you use your stock wheel and brake. My mechanic really liked the quality of their stuff and he is hard to impress.

If you know a machinist, you can save some $$ by modifying the lower CR80 triple tree and helicoiling the brake mount holes on the left shock yourself . Otherwise you will need to send it to Reger and they'll do it for $60 plus shipping both ways. Oh yeah, you'll need heavier springs than the stock CR80's. Somewhere between .40 and .44 depending on your weight and riding style.

Then, plan on doing work on the rear because the flaws of the rear shock will become obvious after the front is fixed. Check out Toneconsultant's posts and website. He sent his shock out to Helbo's to get rebuilt and is quite satisfied with the results especially since it is $180 vs $500+ for the Works rear shock.

Otherwise, take a look into the previous post to mod the stock suspension. It won't be quite as good, but definately cheaper. If you are into slower trail riding versus fast riding or even racing, then they should be OK. You may be quite happy with the Race-Tech upgraded front and the Helbo modified rear.

In the end, it always comes down to budget. Some would say that for the inital $3200 for the 230 plus $2000 in upgrades, it would make more sense to get a 250X, and I would agree, if I could touch the ground on a 250X. So, for the same price, I have a nice small bike that works quite well as a fast woods bike (I don't race) and it fits me quite nice. Then Honda released the 150R....

--Joel

They don't bolt right up. The best (read Most Expensive) option is to get the kit from Reger Engineering. http://www.regerengineering.com. The kit is about $600 total.

I just got my kit (the Works rear shock is about to be ordered), and I am eagerly awaiting spring! It lets you use your stock wheel and brake. My mechanic really liked the quality of their stuff and he is hard to impress.

If you know a machinist, you can save some $$ by modifying the lower CR80 triple tree and helicoiling the brake mount holes on the left shock yourself . Otherwise you will need to send it to Reger and they'll do it for $60 plus shipping both ways. Oh yeah, you'll need heavier springs than the stock CR80's. Somewhere between .40 and .44 depending on your weight and riding style.

Then, plan on doing work on the rear because the flaws of the rear shock will become obvious after the front is fixed. Check out Toneconsultant's posts and website. He sent his shock out to Helbo's to get rebuilt and is quite satisfied with the results especially since it is $180 vs $500+ for the Works rear shock.

Otherwise, take a look into the previous post to mod the stock suspension. It won't be quite as good, but definately cheaper. If you are into slower trail riding versus fast riding or even racing, then they should be OK. You may be quite happy with the Race-Tech upgraded front and the Helbo modified rear.

In the end, it always comes down to budget. Some would say that for the inital $3200 for the 230 plus $2000 in upgrades, it would make more sense to get a 250X, and I would agree, if I could touch the ground on a 250X. So, for the same price, I have a nice small bike that works quite well as a fast woods bike (I don't race) and it fits me quite nice. Then Honda released the 150R....

--Joel

I am not going to be using it for racing i just think it looks better. So you are basically saying that i can have a cr80 frotn suespension on my bike for 160 bux b/c i can get the cr80 front for 100 bux. And what will be wrong with the rear that you are sayin i will have to get a new shock or rebuild my old one?

What I am saying is this...

You got a good deal on the forks, so use them. They are expensive new from Honda.

To use them, and you don't have a CR80 Wheel and brake, you will need the following:

1. Modified Lower CR80-85 Triple Tree (Reger will do for $60)

2. Upper CR80-85 Triple Tree (no Key hookup) or get new from Reger

3. Longer front Brake line

4. Wheel spacers (Reger)

5. Front Brake Adapter (Reger) *requires Helicoil Mod to left fork leg.

6. Fork Guards (if you don't have already)

7. Steering Stop (Reger)

If you have a complete CR80 front end, including wheel and brake, then you only need:

1. Modified Lower Triple Tree

2. Steering Stop (Reger)

3. Longer Brake Line

Reger's Kit combines everything you need for around $600. If you cherry pick, like me, you can reduce the cost. I didn't need the lower triple tree and the fork guards, so I saved nearly $200. You can also regain some money by selling your old front end on ebay. I've seen them go for $200.

As for the rear end, you'll find that both the front and rear stock suspension are weak at best, and once you have the front fixed, you'll soon learn that the rear shock is junk

You have several options.

1. Works Performance Shock $500-600

2. Helbo Rebuld $180

3. Aftermarket Spring $75-100

4. CR85 Shock with Respring (if you have a 150 with a kick start. The battery of the 150 with electric start or the 230 prevents this) *I have an extra one that I want to sell that I bought before I realized it wouldn't fit on my 230

So, to recap, you can either go full bore and for ~$1200 have really nice front and rear suspension.

For ~$400 you can get the rear rebuilt, and the Race-Tech and spring modes to the front.

Or you can go with just the spring and oil upgrades to the front and spring upgrade to the rear for ~$200.

Check out Toneconsultant's excellent page showing his mods and his rational for why he chose what he did. http://toneconsultant.tripod.com

Also, there is this page: http://dirtbike.off-road.com/Project+CRF230F

And Rik's page: http://www.rickramsey.net/CRF230Fdiy.htm

All 3 pages have great info. They are worth the time to read.

PS. I'm sure I missed a few things, but check out Reger's page as they list everything you need. I think they are having problems with their site right now.

--Joel

• Like 1