OK, What would you do??

Alright.........3 weeks ago I decided to get back into riding again after a 15 year break. I bought my son a TTR 50 and since I wasnt sure how long it would take me to get my groove back, I bought myself a 07' TTR 230. Well after 10 or so hours, and a full weekend at Johnson Valley, I have my groove back and I need another bike. Now before you all say the shop I bought it from sucks....wait...... They sold me what I asked for. I wanted a mellow beginner bike. Anyways, I am 210 lbs without gear and since the first day I have been bottoming out, landing hard thru the whoops, and I cant go too fast because I feel everything on the trail......basically I am beat up. Nobody has any hop-ups available for the suspension either. I hopped on my buddies 06' KTM 450 and rode that for 15 miles. The ride was nice, and I felt comfortabler and safer. He rode my bike on the ride and he was pinned in 6th gear the whole ride and I couldnt keep up with him. So I know I'm not a badass and wont ever be.....

So here's my dilemma....I am gonna buy either a WR250 or WR450. Is a 450 too much bike for somebody who will probably never use 6th gear? If i buy the 250 am I gonna want the 450 in a year?

The 250 vs 450 debate is endless if you do a search you'll find as many opinions as there are people. It really boils down to your riding style. Some people really like the feeling of riding a lightweight 250 and ringing it out. I can tell you that as you mentioned suspension means everything and irregardless of what you buy you'll want to get the suspension set up for your weight and ability other wise you may as well keep the TTR. If I had to guess I'd say you might be a 450 guy because the 450's don't require you to ring them out yet there is loads of power there when you want it. i.e. if you're come out of a turn toward a jump slow open it up a go on a 450.

Based on where you are riding Johnson Valley, I'm going to guess you're visiting the desert more often. If that's the case then I would highly recommend the 450 over the 250. At your weight you'll need the power of the 450 to get you to the top of some of those nasty sand hill climbs. Those types of hills need power and wheel speed to get to the top!

:applause: What do you mean you babied the TTR, your buddy pinned it for 15 miles?Just kidd'n ya! Anyway, id go with the Wr 450.they have smooth power stock and can be cheaply modified to give more punch as they are a bit restricted to meet sound emmisions.Theres tons of info here on TT concerning the free mods.

The 250 vs 450 debate is endless if you do a search you'll find as many opinions as there are people. It really boils down to your riding style. Some people really like the feeling of riding a lightweight 250 and ringing it out. I can tell you that as you mentioned suspension means everything and irregardless of what you buy you'll want to get the suspension set up for your weight and ability other wise you may as well keep the TTR. If I had to guess I'd say you might be a 450 guy because the 450's don't require you to ring them out yet there is loads of power there when you want it. i.e. if you're come out of a turn toward a jump slow open it up a go on a 450.

lol :applause:

What about maitnence? Some people say it's a nightmare............:applause:

Compared to a 230...Yeah its a nightmare.

Change your oil filter every ride, change the oil, clean your air filter, check the valves, and do a regular check-up on the normal things (Tire PSI, Chain tension, Check for wierd sounds, cracked parts, so on and so forth).

Its not ALL that big of a deal but its a huge difference from a 230. But the bike will last forever if you keep up on things.

Compared to a 230...Yeah its a nightmare.

Change your oil filter every ride, change the oil, clean your air filter, check the valves, and do a regular check-up on the normal things (Tire PSI, Chain tension, Check for wierd sounds, cracked parts, so on and so forth).

Its not ALL that big of a deal but its a huge difference from a 230. But the bike will last forever if you keep up on things.

How do you check the valves? Dont be harsh....I really dont know.

ttr230 at Johnson Valley... That would have been tough. There are some really soft sand there and it would really bother you without the power to get though it easily.

I'm 210lbs just like you. 18 months ago, I bought my first ever dirt bike which was/is a 2005 wr450. I was somewhat afraid and intimidated by it because I was new to dirt and the rear tire was spinning all the time. Many of my early posts were about how to "tame the beast". I even seriously considered downsizing to a 250, but I didn't. I put new springs in and ran a trials tire for a while. That increased my confidence a lot.

If you buy a 250, you will surely want a 450 within a year. If you buy a 450, you will want a 250. The point is... given the two choices that you are looking at, its the rider moreso than the bike that will make the difference.

Now that I am used to the 450 and I am a better rider, the big motor really helps me much more than it hurts me. When I am climbing a hill with rocks, ruts and loose dirt, it really helps. Sometimes in sand, it hurts because the torque will easily spin the wheel and dig a hole. But that's rider error.

At your size and since you have some experience, I would think that you'd want the 450. If they guys that you normally ride with have 450's, you should get one and ride where they normally ride. I am a so cal desert rider myself and like the 450, especially in the sand washes.

That being said, a guy I ride with has a ktm300 2 stroke. It is so light and so smooth that I am now thinking of switching to it instead. It doesn't have the torque I am used to, but it very, very easy to ride and pretty darn fast once you are above 15 mph.

Good luck with your choices.

Congrats on the new bike, 450 was the better decision. You wont have to work the motor as hard compared to a 250. Does it have an hour meter? If not, I would recommend one to let you know when to adjust the valves, change oil etc.

did you get the 07 wr450? You sure are impatient, aren't you? Be sure to read all of the good stuff in the wr450 forum. that's where I learned what little I know.

First do the "free" mods. Then get yourself the jettiing kit, smog removal kit, hand guards or bark busters. Lastly get some new springs from www.racetech.com (or order them from the TT store)

I wouldn't buy anything else, no matter how tempting. The bike probably doesn't need it and you'll be wasting your money until you get more seat time.

Be safe and maybe I'll see you out in the desert one day.

Yes Yes Yes I am impatient. One of my many bad traits I guess.? I just really wanted to get on the right bike. I might keep the 230 now. Just for backup & buddies. I'm not sure. The groupof guys I ride with are from my age to yours, so next time your looking for somebody to ride with, feel free to hollar over here.:applause: Thanks for the advice. I will use it.:applause: