Sign in to follow this  

Gas Gas 300

I'm interested in picking up a new 300. Who is a decent dealer with reasonable prices? I've been considering another 300xc-w but I've been told I would like the GG more. I'm strictly a trail rider and getting a plate is quite important, something that's easy to do on the KTM.

Any downsides of the GG versus the KTM? One thing I don't care for the KTM is the 5 speed. Is the GG's 6 speed an over all wider ratio? I also notice there is an EC and a DE, what's the difference?

Thanks, Bill.

I know you said a new 300.

I just got a new 04 EC300 the beginning of summer 06. The ratios seem to be perfect for trail riding. First is low, and pinned in sixth the speedo shows 78mph. Even if you subtract 10% it's fast enough for me. I trail ride, and so far I've been able to climb every rutted, loose rock, buried rock, steep trail that my 4 stroke can. The 300 with the heavy ignition(EC) lugs great. You can ride the EC a gear too high and it dosen't care. I tend to ride it a gear high cause it pulls hard for this old guy.

The seat is narrow and rock hard. Even with cycling shorts your sit bones are tender. I got the 3.4 gal tank, and I don't stop too much, so I get a lot of seat time.

The DE has the smaller, less output, lighter weight ignition. On the DE model the ignition wires come out the cover at the 10 o'clock position. On the EC it the 2 o'clock poistion. To double check, remove the cover the heavy ignition fills up the case. My bike has full instrumention control on the bars, even a horn. Front and rear brake light switch.

For trail riding I'd look for the EC, the EC revs just fine with the heavy ignition.

almost indestructable motor,by far most versatile bike ive had.ec model has very linear power,almost like 4 stroke........but doesnt stall in tight stuff,refuse to start after fall,cost obscene amounts of money when gone wrong.did i say the motor was fantastic........:applause:

It seems the GG enduro web site disappeared. Not a good sign.

Anybody have a GG dealer list or are their enduro bikes history?

I noticed the website was down as well. Anyone know why or how serious it is?

Greg

My father in law just bought a new GG 07 EC300, nice bike! I have only riden it once for a few minutes....Wish I had some extra $$ for one

Halls-cycles.com  This is the best dealer there is for Gas Gas or Husqvarna.  Always keep m on my bike and don't empty your wallet. They are in Springfeild, IL but, can ship anywhere.  The also do awesome suspension work or for that matter any other work you need. This shop has more parts in stock for more yersof bis that I have ever seen.  No two weeks order like all the yamaha and honda shops.  Give them a try.

You came into a wrong forum... Biased hehehe. Ktm has 6 speed. I heard that... If like to race... ktm is for you, strictly woods rider... Gas gas is for you! Go gas gas!

You dingdongs do realize you've resurrected a eight year old thread.

• Like 1

Still have it and it's been the best tight woods bike I've ever owned bar none.  Virtually trouble free too. :banana:

I rode it 7 days last week in torrential rains in southern Missouri. It was so wet there was water on TOP of the carb slide. Only one way for that to happen, carb underwater. 

• Like 1

Well, a friend was recently offered a really good deal on a '08 GG 300.  I know zero about GG, but I hardly ever hear of anything bad about them.  That said, is it true that the GG 300 motor is based off of a YZ250?  Also, what was the parts situation like before the recent bankruptcy?  More importantly, would you still buy one after that announcement?

Well, a friend was recently offered a really good deal on a '08 GG 300. I know zero about GG, but I hardly ever hear of anything bad about them. That said, is it true that the GG 300 motor is based off of a YZ250? Also, what was the parts situation like before the recent bankruptcy? More importantly, would you still buy one after that announcement?

When I had a gasgas I used gofasters in Minnesota (dealer). Lots of parts then. Afaik, the cr250 piston and 94-98 kx250 subframe and side panels fit. There's other cross referenced parts that fit on the gofasters forum site. I don't think there's any similarity to the yz. If the price were less than $1000 below book value then I would consider purchasing one.

Bad? People complain abt how heavy they are and high parts prices. Any boutique brand will have higher parts prices. My ec250 didn't feel heavy but it wasn't svelte like a 02+ cr250 mx bike. Apples to oranges there.