Sign in to follow this  

Suspension on the 300R

First thing to do is to get the springs matched to your riding weight. This, YOU can do. The stock suspension is way out of balance. The forks springs are good for a 135 lb rider and the shock spring is good for a 185 lb rider.

Next, have RaceTech GoldValves installed in the forks. There's not much to work with in the stock fork valves. The shock can be reshimmed, no need to install Goldvalve there.

If you get real ambitious, install a set of 1994 or 1995 KX 125, 250, or 500 forks on the bike. Go to www.planetKLX.com, click on "Hop Ups" and then on "Fork Swap" to see what is involved.

Ride on

Brewster

I'll fly against the tide here and tell you to get your suspension professionally re-worked - revalved and re-spring - by a pro that knows suspension and has worked on KLX's before. It will make a huge difference. Changing your springs will help, but it will still be vastly inferior to a WR or CRF or YZF or KXF, etc. Even with a pro job, it will still be 30-40% weaker than one of those bikes stock. Have a pro do it and you'll be happier. And poorer.....:applause:

If you have to ship your suspension out anyway, I'd suggest George at ESP. He's phenomenal on suspension. Does a lot of the magazine bikes, is reasonable and meticulous. Highly recommended. :applause:

Or check out brucessuspension.com

He's an expert on KLX suspension and has a real neat trick that others don't.

He turns one tube into a rebound fork.

How much $$$ are we talking here to do a complete job?

How much $$$ are we talking here to do a complete job?

Probably 6-700 depending on what springs you need or don't need. That's with gold valves up front and none in the rear.

Probably 6-700 depending on what springs you need or don't need. That's with gold valves up front and none in the rear.

Hey bill is how mush we are talking about that you sugested. thanks bill p. i am thinking of doing that to my bike. i really need it. i ride hard sometimes in the mountains and the suspension isnt liking it. :applause:

Hey bill is how mush we are talking about that you sugested. thanks bill p. i am thinking of doing that to my bike. i really need it. i ride hard sometimes in the mountains and the suspension isnt liking it. :applause:

New springs on either end will be around $100

Gold valves (absolutely needed on the front) are around $125 I think

New Seals - $???

Pulling the suspension and taking it or sending it in will save you $80 or so.

The valving is probably $125-200 on each end depending on who does it for you and how much they charge.

Personally I suggest George at ESP in So Cal (Montrose I think) unless you have someone close by that is familiar with KLX suspension. George is killer, has a lot of experience with KLX's and does tons of big name Off-Road guys bikes and magazine bikes. Plus, he's a great guy and quite reasonable.

• Like 1