Sign in to follow this  

upper sycamore..

For the first time ....In about 5 years, I ran into a Tonto national forest l.e.o. On a sunday morning...

at the bulldog canyon ohv area off hiway 88...she checked our permits,and wrote a 120.00 citation to a guy that was with us.. left his permit in his truck..Picture i.d. is also required to be carried...Common sense, but I didnt have mine with me..she let that slide..

The guy that got cited has to fax in a copy of his permit , and she will void the ticket..

One permit is required per vehicle..If kids are riding bikes ,they need their own permit..The permits are still currently.." free "....I cant imagine that lasting much longer..

This permit system will be implemented this year at upper and lower sycamore creek..she said..gates are going up..permits and i.d will be required,

and stay on designated path travel only...

Just thought I would pass this info along for those who enjoy that upper sycamore singletrack..

:applause: FINALLY :applause:

Not that your friend got a ticket, but that if the cops are out there, the number of numbnuts will go down, and the cops can make enough money to pay someone to go out there. lets hope permits stay free, or cost about a yearly OHV permit.

Thanks for the heads up, and glad your friend has the permit to get out of the ticket.

See you on the trails.

Ken

Yeah, Bulldog Canyon has been under "lock down" for a couple of years now. People really trashed that area, so you have to go to a District Ranger's office, get a permit for whatever vehicle(s) will enter the restricted area, and either display or carry the permit with you. Up to 4 vehicles on a permit when I did it last.

With the permit you get the combos to unlock the gates. Permit expire every 6 weeks or so.

Like Bulldog Canyon, the Sycamore Creek areas that will be restricted have been seriously trashed. Most of this is being done by people engaged in illegal dumping. Some of it, the much lesser part, is the result of the more "party oriented" OHV crowd.

Yeah, Bulldog Canyon has been under "lock down" for a couple of years now. People really trashed that area, so you have to go to a District Ranger's office, get a permit for whatever vehicle(s) will enter the restricted area, and either display or carry the permit with you. Up to 4 vehicles on a permit when I did it last.

With the permit you get the combos to unlock the gates. Permit expire every 6 weeks or so.

Like Bulldog Canyon, the Sycamore Creek areas that will be restricted have been seriously trashed. Most of this is being done by people engaged in illegal dumping. Some of it, the much lesser part, is the result of the more "party oriented" OHV crowd.

permit is good for 6 months....Now it is one vehicle per permit.The permit system has worked well in the Bulldog for the most part...Has really kept the illegal dumping and shooting down..

Its the lack of patrols and enforcement that after sometime all the rules are ignored..gate are ripped down and gradually the mayhem comes back..

I complained to the forest service last year about the nite partying, pallet burns, destruction and littering of the desert....homeless squatters..but sadly with one officer for the entire national forest it fell on deaf ears.

The sheriffs were contacted..and finally something got done...

Now they have 2 officers for the entire forest.This year, the officer said they will be closing the lower sycamore entrance, moving it, and building a huge staging area to accomodate 200 vehicles..

These changes probably wont go over well with the night partiers and squid

quad rider poulation...more than likely there will be a backlash, lots of ripping down of the gates and such...For the upper sycamore riders...the only time we will ever see a L.E.O. Will be at the staging area, and it will be up to us to stay on the trails and keep the area nice and follow the rules in the upper singletrack area..

Hey Guys,

What specific "permit" do we need to ride these areas? Is this different than the State Land Recreational Use Permit we need for OHVs like Granite Mtn or Rolls? If so where do we get these from? Game and Fish, Forrest Service, ??