Sign in to follow this  

shifting

ya i know it might be a stuid question but... cna u shift on a straight away or jsut in turns. i was tought to shift soming out of a turn. can someone help me out:excuseme:

not stupid if you don't know...yes,most definately shift on straights and as far as turns,if they are tight,you should in your desired gear before or as you enter the turn,after exit then you can shift again if needed.If the turn is a long sweeper type,you should be able to shift.Hope this helps.

yea in straightaways def...but also in turns, sometimes people are able to avoid downshifting when coming into the turn or upshifting out of a turn, by just clutching it a lil bit, asn then as they reach the apex of the turn they drop the clutch and go...it works for like 90-130 degree turns..not so much 180 degree truns

down shift to the proper gear before the turn with the clutch out. This allows you to use the engine to help slow you done even more. This is also known as "engine breaking."

shift in the air as much as you can. especially upshifts. be carefull of downshifts, more so if you ride 4stroke. only downshift if at lower rpms so you don't overrev on landing or get pitched off from compression braking. downshift only if landing is right before corner.

ya i know it might be a stuid question but... cna u shift on a straight away or jsut in turns. i was tought to shift soming out of a turn. can someone help me out:excuseme:

no its not a stupid question i just want to know ur technique before ?

did u only shift in corners? and not straights? and another why wouldnt u think u have to shift on straights?

dont think iam an ass picking on iam guessing a newb iam just confused

well i was only coming out of corners. b/c the guy who was helping me jsut tought me that and he never said anything about on a straight. i didnt know if i had to slow down so the engine doesnt get messed up or sumthin. so i didnt know if it would do anything

i have a question but its a little of topic. wut gear should i start out im i ride a 2006 crf100. and im goin to start racing after i put some kx8front forks on it. and get a fmf exhaust.

no i mean like 1,2,3 gear when i start for racing

ohh u mean for starts...on a four stroke i usually start on 2nd gear...but u can go with first... try both and see which is better foru

I would make sure to practice shifting before and after the turn--because what if it a left hand turn and you use the left leg!! THEN WHAT DO YOU DO hahahaha