Sign in to follow this  

cleaning cylinder head and valves

whats the best way to clean the carbon off the valves and cylinder head? i think i remember someone saying engine cleaner.

soaking it in solvent, valves-just buy new ones, i bead blasted my head but if u do that u need to recut the seats

its an '07 with 27 hours. the valves are good, i just want to get off the carbon

for the valves, I just used a wire wheel on my bench grinder... You have to be careful not to touch the valve sealing surface on the wire wheel, and you are fine.

For cleaning out the carbon from the head I used a wire brush and sand paper for the exhaust port. But for the top you want to use something that won't scratch it up.

If you can get new valves, that would be the best, but if are limited on $, at the minimum I would get new seals.

Edit: You just said that it was an 07 with 27 hours, then I would just leave it alone, it is still like new :applause:

And just out of curiosity, why would you be taking apart your bike at only 27 hours? Piston ring replacement time is 70 hours...

You can use a wire wheel works great but takes the coating off the valves.use oven cleaner.Spray it on let sit for an hour or two ,carbon should come right off.It worked on 2stroke power valves.