Sign in to follow this  

1984? Xr 200

I just picked up an XR200 in a trade,it runs but needs help. I am also not sure that it is an 84. It in monoshock,single carb. Could it be an 84, or were they dual carb? No title and no vin,the plate is gone. Also,does anyone know the specs for the valves and how to adjust the cam chain.Thanks, Tom

The '84 XR200R was the dual carb, 4-valve RFVC engine. Quite possibly, it is an '83 XR200R, which would have the serial numbers as follows:

Frame - JH2ME0405DK200001~

Engine - ME04E-5200001~

Post up either or both sets of numbers from your bike, and we can tell you what year you have.

Actually the first year mono XR 200 R was the '81 model if it's got a black seat cover if it's still stock it's 81 - 82.

Okay,so it must be an 81-83.No frame tubes under engine,single carb,one valve in and out,engine numbers are ME04E-5112151.I pulled it apart today and I have never seen such a hodge podge of mismatched hardware,zip ties,and epoxy.Does anyone have a skidplate?Air box? Thanks,Tom

I just figured out it is an XR200R,not just an XR200......

No frame tubes under engine = 83 or earlier.

Dual-carb, 4-valve engine = 84-85

Full tube frame and 2-valve engine = 86 to 2004.

Don't forget that in 1984 Honda sold 2 different XR 200cc bikes in the United States.

An XR 200 with twin rear shocks that had the 2 valve motor with a single carb. I had one and some of the paperwork said it was called an XR200E.

They also sold the XR200R 4 valve Model with the dual carb set up and a Pro Link rear suspension.

Pulled the motor today and found the frame is cracked in 2 places.Engine mounts are all screwed up.I have never seen such a clusterf*ck as this bike....3 weeks and she'll be good to go.Again,anyone have the valve specs and timing chain adjustment procedure?And maybe fork oil height?

The fork oil height and valve specs can be found HERE and that information was found in THIS MANUAL

The cam chain tensioner is self-adjusting, if you need to know how to remove it, let me know, and I'll copy the information and forward to you.

Thanks for the scan,I really appreciate it.Hopefully this weekend I'll get the frames welded up,painted and back together....Tom

hey there i have a number to run if you have the time. i just acquired an interesting bike. it is a 1990 CR125 frame with an XR engine. from what i can tell just from reading your posts and research on a couple of other sites it is an XR200 bottom end with a 185 top end. not sure what vintage. it says 180 on the rear of the cylinder and the cylinder is silver whereas the bottom end is black. the engine number is ME04E-5208395. if you can shed some light on this that would be great....thanks. the main reason i need engine ID is i am needing to order a clutch for this bike.

thanks, that helps a lot. i would have ordered the wrong clutch i think. i almost started shopping for 185 parts too. haha...........thanks again.

In the above post there's a scan for valve clearances that says "all models" at the top... but then goes to say xr250r. From what i've read in previous posts, it's a different engine than what's in an 83 xr200? (twin rear shocks) I need to know the valve clearances or if those in the scanned pic are correct!!! many thanks in advance!!!

Ken

The valve clearances are for all the models covered in the manual, it is a standard setting.

Intake - .002"

Exhaust - .003"