Sign in to follow this  

Oreana today

Today was my first full M/C and I had a great time although I am pretty much worn out. I did finish all 95 some miles and I learned some valuable lessons. The main thing is to make sure you don't forget to tighten the bolt on the shift lever.:applause: I wen't over the whole bike the day before making sure everything was snug, the one bolt I missed came loose about 2/3 into the first lap. Luckily I didn't loose the bolt and was able to tighten it up and be back to full operation on the trail but I lost a lot of time.

I would also like to thank the group that helped me out in the pits. I don't know who you are but all I did was pull up next to my fuel can and was surrounded by people. Before I new my tank was full and everything checked and I was on my way again. Thanks a bunch to you all.:applause:

Does anyone know if there is a website for the photographer. I saw a sign indicating there was a photographer ahead but don't know where too look for any shots.

Sam

Glad you had a good and safe time. What was the terrain like? Did it vary or was it all desert? How was the start? We're you dying the last lap or was it easier than you expected? (all can answer these q's).

Sorry for the third degree but I'm really curious since we we're supposed to ride it but got sidetracked. My riding partner, Dan, and I had just made the turn to Murphy when we got a call from his wife who is visiting in Cali. Their 2 month old baby came down with pnemonia so we had to turn around and get Dan right to the airport (as many of you know, he's had a rough 2 weeks). We we're both pretty bummed but, of course, we had no choice but to shine the race.

I made the best of it though and took my 5 yo son riding instead:thumbsup:

Well, let's hear some more good Oreanna stories.:applause:

I only did the sportsman loop, one lap of about 46 miles or so. It was a lot of deep, heavy sand. Felt like 22 miles of beach, 2 miles of road, 22 miles of rocky beach with a sprinkle of firm trail and rocks here and there. :applause: My yz250f was hating life in the deep sand :applause:

Charles

Glad you had a good and safe time. What was the terrain like? Did it vary or was it all desert? How was the start? We're you dying the last lap or was it easier than you expected? (all can answer these q's).:

As Chartz said the terrain was a lot of deep heavy sand with short sections of firm trail mixed in.

The start was a lot of fun. I was in the C wave and got of the line first and was in the lead until just before the first left turn. At that point I was passed by one or two guys. I was able to stay with them pretty well until the first sand wash. It was wide open and I felt like I was going pretty fast but several people went by me. I was able to keep up fairly well once we got back into the single track but would fall back a little in the high speed sections. I could still see the lead group of the C wave when I lost the ability to shift. This is when I really fell behind I tried to keep going not sure what the problem was. I was pretty slow through the rock section.

I was definitly a lot slower on the last lap. My goal was to finish not win so I just tried to stay smooth and steady for the last lap. Knowing the coarse and how far I was from the end made it seem a lot shorter.

All in all it was a good day but I can tell the soreness is getting set in pretty good by tomorrow.

Sam

I finished both laps and got 2nd place in the womens class. I only got 2nd tho cuz 1 or 2 other female riders only did one lap.

Course was pounded to hell by the time I hit my second lap. Plus I had snow, hail, rain, and mud. :applause: But that's what you get when you're the last 2 lap finisher. :applause:

I even had one guy tell me it might be best to just ride the road back cuz I'd still get my "pin". :lol: Silly boy. I was polite and said I'd like to finish the race and he said alright.

I was having trouble getting any water, and was not able to drink out of my hydro pack until the pit stop. I was already cramping a bit, and behind the curve regarding hydration.

I had bought a hydro pack just for this race, man was I ever glad to have it. Hadn't quite figured out the best way to route the hose, ended up with it kinking or something about half the time and couldn't get much water from it.

I went down hard in one of the 'big square ditches' they mentioned in the riders meeting which I promptly forgot about. :applause: (somewhere in the first mile or two I think) Not sure if I bruised ribs or cracked them, I may go get it x-rayed. Needless to say this really took the wind out of my sails so I just concentrated on keeping moving and staying hydrated.

I dunno if I will do another one of these again, at least not until I forget most of the details about this one. :applause:

Charles

I had bought a hydro pack just for this race, man was I ever glad to have it. Hadn't quite figured out the best way to route the hose, ended up with it kinking or something about half the time and couldn't get much water from it.

I went down hard in one of the 'big square ditches' they mentioned in the riders meeting which I promptly forgot about. :applause: (somewhere in the first mile or two I think) Not sure if I bruised ribs or cracked them, I may go get it x-rayed. Needless to say this really took the wind out of my sails so I just concentrated on keeping moving and staying hydrated.

I dunno if I will do another one of these again, at least not until I forget most of the details about this one. :applause:

Charles

I had the same prob w/ my hose. Make sure you put the bladder in with the hose coming out of the bottom of the bladder then route it up through the hole in the pack. Then prime it by holding the pack higher than the mouthpiece and squeezing the mouthpiece to let the water gravity feed out. Then release the mouthpiece and she'll work great.

Regarding the ribs...I've been there. Not much you (or the doc) can do for bruising or broken. They both hurt the same and the remedy is the same: don't laugh, sneeze, or cough:eek: Good luck.

Hey Tressa,

Where is the old man? Is he too tired to give a report?

:lol:

:applause: :applause: Lucky dog has the day off.

What were his impressions of the course?

I imagine that it was not as technical as he would have liked. But, that sand was tiresome, and that upped the difficulty factor.

Do you know what time he was done?

I think the race started close to 11:30, and I was done close to 1:50 or so......

He said that was the most sand he'd ever done in a race. I think he would agree with you about the sand upping the difficulty factor, but he still would have like way more technical stuff.

He never did say how he finished. Only mentioned that he didn't do as well as he'd hoped.

He did mention that the SX was having some trouble tho. I can't recall if he said the throttle was the issue or not. Whatever it is, it's gotta be frustrating especially in a race.

That sand got far worse the more it got pounded. I was cussing it out on my second lap. You got it far worse that I did.

I wonder from what perspective that came from. My first race here, I also did not do as well as I had hoped. Thing was, I had a decent ride, but the talent pool was far deeper than I expected. He is coming from Nevada, so I am sure he is used to good competition, so that is probably not the case, but I am still interested in hearing his story. Everybody knows there are no REAL desert riders in Washington state. :lol:

Wasn't his sprocket bolts was it?

:cry:

By the time I started my second lap, the sand was crazy. Whoops were DEEP and unforgiving. Plus it didn't help that the weather got crappy too. On the 2 track first lap was 4th and sometimes in 5th. The second lap it was hailing and being pelted in the face made me back off the throttle, so I lost major time there. At one point during the ride, I totally gave up on the goggles. It was snowing/hailing/raining and I couldn't see a darn thing so I just took them off. And wouldn't you know as soon as I did that, it got muddy, lol.

I'm not sure what he meant either. I could have miss understood him too. I was tired after the race, so I might not have beeen paying full attention to what he was saying. :applause: I think that it might be more or less based on his bike not running the way he wanted to. I'm not sure tho. I would guess he'll let us all know tomorrow when he's back at work.

His sprocket bolts were not the issue. :applause:

Dang!

:cry:

That was pretty gnarly. :lol: Never seen or heard that before. :applause:

Next time you boys ride together ... maybe a check list should be involved. :applause:

By the time I started my second lap, the sand was crazy. Whoops were DEEP and unforgiving.

Which is what the 'sportsman' class got since they started after everyone else, I knew as soon as we crossed the road from the riders meeting and down the sandy wash that I was in for a loooong day :cry: At least it wasn't hard to see where the course went, looked like a herd of buffalo went through :cry: I felt every bump and whoop in my (unbroken! :applause: ribs, had them checked today)

Plus it didn't help that the weather got crappy too.

Since I took forever to get in I caught some of this. I was up on a ridge and the wind was blowing so hard it kept pushing/twisting my head/helmet to the side :lol: and I know as I was driving out it was getting worse.

On the 2 track first lap was 4th and sometimes in 5th. The second lap it was hailing and being pelted in the face made me back off the throttle, so I lost major time there. At one point during the ride, I totally gave up on the goggles. It was snowing/hailing/raining and I couldn't see a darn thing so I just took them off. And wouldn't you know as soon as I did that, it got muddy, lol.

All I have to say for anyone finishing the second lap: :applause:

I thought that they were advertising this race as the one to try if you didn't have any prior experience. IOW, a good starting point for a newbie. Sounds like it was quite a workout. I'm disappointed that we missed our first race but, then again, maybe not:excuseme: :applause:

So, all in all, were you guys disappointed in the course or just surprised. To me, sand is sand. It's not technical but it is very exhausting. And, from what I'm reading, it sounded kind of boring. Am I reading this right? I'd rather have 20 miles of tight, technical trails than 40 of open sand.

I thought that they were advertising this race as the one to try if you didn't have any prior experience. IOW, a good starting point for a newbie. Sounds like it was quite a workout. I'm disappointed that we missed our first race but, then again, maybe not:excuseme: :applause:

So, all in all, were you guys disappointed in the course or just surprised. To me, sand is sand. It's not technical but it is very exhausting. And, from what I'm reading, it sounded kind of boring. Am I reading this right? I'd rather have 20 miles of tight, technical trails than 40 of open sand.

A work out yes but I wouldn't say it was boring. With it being advertised as beginner friendly I was suprised by the amount of deep sand. If someone tries to tell you sand isn't technical don't trust them. It definitly takes technique and will wear you out, at least it does me.

I actually enjoyed the terrain a lot, except when it was raining and I couldn't see. The second lap was much rougher but in many cases line selection made a huge difference. If you got in the habit of taking the line most traveled it was probably the wrong choice. Staying out of the main line was much smoother although sometimes there was no choice.

If you got in the habit of taking the line most traveled it was probably the wrong choice. Staying out of the main line was much smoother although sometimes there was no choice.

Yeah my thoughts as well, the holes/ruts were getting deep.

I was surprised at the amount of deep sand... it was quite deep and loose, like riding in a kids sandbox. I don't care for sand but I guess I would rather see 20 miles of deep sand than twenty miles of deep whoops. Once I get tired I am toast in the whoops.

The few technical sections had me yearning for the low end grunt of my old XR, that thing can tank through anything. A heavier flywheel or a different bike will be in my future if I do more of this type of riding. I like the way my bike handles the desert but if I wasn't on a race course I would not have ridden that much sand.

If someone tries to tell you sand isn't technical don't trust them.

QUOTE]

What, are you saying you don't trust me?:applause: To me, sand isn't technical...it's just go as fast as you can and stay on top of it...and when you run out of steam and can't stay on top of it...it's misery. Especially sandy whoops. (Just my opinion, that's all).

Thanks for the info on the race. I do wish we had done it for the workout and experience but it's kind of disappointing that I'm not hearing anyone say, "Wow, what a great race, great layout, etc."

Do you or others have any insight into the upcoming races?

[quote name=mowtown;4398838

What' date=' are you saying you don't trust me?:applause: To me, sand isn't technical...it's just go as fast as you can and stay on top of it...and when you run out of steam and can't stay on top of it...it's misery. Especially sandy whoops. (Just my opinion, that's all).

I guess that is what I wrote, maybe a better choice of words would have been don't believe them.

I agree that sand isn't all that technical if the trail is wide and fairly straight...then yes keep the front wheel on top and hold on. The problem (for me anyway) is when the trail gets narrow with lots of turns...like it was before the 3rd check point. This section would have been a great single track if it wasn't for the thick sand...it seemed to go on forever...on both laps this section just seemed to suck the energy out of me.

I don't really have a lot of experience to compare the course layout to....it was my first time completing both laps and only my 2nd desert race...the first was the Sand City race back in Oct. I also did the season opener a few weeks ago but that was only a 9 mile loop so it is hard to compare to a 50 mile course.