Sign in to follow this  

adding to bike re-sale value?

hey all,

i bought some pretty basic stuff for my bike to make it look nicer to.....hopefully sell faster/for more money. i bought all new plastics, graphics, grips and it will come with 2 pretty much new tires. i was thinking of asking $4500(don't say "what, your crazy", thats damn cheap for up here) but now i'm in a bit of a situation where.....i'm deep in debt and it takes me a long time to make a couple hundred bucks cuase i don't get many shifts in the winter. i did a search on a classified site for all of canada and for this time of winter it looks like the going rate for a YZ250F about the same year as mine is alot higher than $4500. so if i can sell it for a few more hundred bucks it would really help. the bike is in perfect condition and runs really good, the valves were just shimmed and it will come with alot of aftermarket parts. how much more could i get away with asking becuase of the work that has been done?

thanks in advance :applause:

Dude... the used bike market is full of nothing but cheap people. Don't expect to get more than it's worth to it's future owner.

Advice: don't spend another dime on it if you're in deep debt and make things worse. Sell it and cut your loses.

Shifters right. I would add that you should get the bike as close to stock as you can. Sell some aftermarket parts on Ebay. Honesty is the best policy too I might add. I sold a spotless CR125 with new plastics for $500 more than I bought it for. The bike is worth nothing until you have someone who shows interest. Good luck

Shifters right. I would add that you should get the bike as close to stock as you can. Sell some aftermarket parts on Ebay. Honesty is the best policy too I might add. I sold a spotless CR125 with new plastics for $500 more than I bought it for. The bike is worth nothing until you have someone who shows interest. Good luck

This is absolutely true! Some people do not realize the value of aftermarket parts. When you sell them on ebay, the buy DOES know the value and you usually get a fair market value. Example, I don't have much need for an aftermarket pipe on a bike (I don't ride fast enough to notice). To me, I don't care if it's on there or not. On ebay, someone is going to pay what it's worth.

Couple other things, MARKETING, MARKETING, MARKETING!!! I always get more for stuff I sell on ebay if my description is simple but detailed (easy to understand). I also add a bit of personal touch (why I'm selling something). People seem to be more comfortable buying from someone they can relate to rather than a big store. Finally, ACCURATE pictures. That can't be stressed enough. Take pictures that look nice but also show the features.

Ebay also works well for selling the bike. I got more for a bike I sold than I ever could've locally. They guy really wanted THAT bike and drove 6 hours to get it.

ahh, not what i wanted to hear guys.

I know, but as I said, sell it, pay what debts you can and live to ride another day.

I know, but as I said, sell it, pay what debts you can and live to ride another day.

alright, thanks. i know what i should do but damn, its gonna hard taking a $3000 kick in the balls when it takes me forever to make that kind of cash :applause:

04 YZF 250F, I wouldn't think you would get much more than 4500$ CDN at all. List it at that and see what you can do.

will do, have you looked through any classified ads over there, shit man alot of people are crazy to be asking like $5600 for a beat looking 2002.

I'd be a little more Optimistic.....

The difference of the new Plastics, graphics, etc. can sometimes be the difference in getting what you want for it. I'd float the price you want, and see how things go. If nobody bites, than lower your price.

I'd be a little more Optimistic.....

The difference of the new Plastics, graphics, etc. can sometimes be the difference in getting what you want for it. I'd float the price you want, and see how things go. If nobody bites, than lower your price.

i was thinking the same. theres a thing called "buysell", you can place ads for free. i figure let it sit in there for a month at $5000. then lower once the snow starts to melt. :applause:

I had to end up selling my 05 YZ250F for 4300, so I'm just saying it's not easy to sell bikes for the price you want. Honestly I thought it would fly out the first day on Autotrader, everything else was at least 600 more.

Still I only had like 6 people call the whole time, and like 3 were actually interested.

You definitely have a nice looking bike though, my 05 was probably not quite as nice, well you have the black rims and such and it looks really good. But 4500 is a good price imo.