Sign in to follow this  

Green sticker..

Ok, i'm confused. Can someone please explain this whole sticker thing to me. I'm from outside of the US but i'm purchasing a bike from the US. What if the green sticker. Which bike is better to have, one with or without tis sticker. Which one is the faster one. How do I know if the bike i'm buying is that one (how does the sticker look) ? I can get any one of the because they don't need no stickers where I am so i would want the better one.

Thanx in advance..

If you dont need any type of stickers,

It still depends on what types of riding you are doing.

Trails = 250X

Track = 250R (Can be set up for trails also)

If I were you, I'd go with the 250R, you won't regret it.

Ok, i think i made a big mistake. I am definately buying a 250X. I read on a website that Green stickered bikes (California bikes) were slower than the normal bikes (other states). I misunderstood this big time. I thought what this meant was that California had a version of this bike (made in cali) that was slower than the rest of the hondas (all other states). So ur basically saying all bikes are the same, just that they are ALREADY in a class (e.g. all 250X's are green stickered..unless mods of course) Gotcha now. So then any 250X that i go to purchase, it may or may not have the sticker on it, but it is the same bike. OK... 1 other question, does the 250X and the 250R use the same exact carburettor ?

Ohh and, if this is a California rule, why would a bike in another state have the green sticker ??

The California model of the 250X has air requirements, ex: Smog Pump, etc...

250X's elsewhere do not have this, so they are a little different.

Green/Red stickers are only for California, but a few other states have similar laws/stickers.

Any 250X you go to purchase will most likley be the Non Cali model and will not be "Plugged up".

As for the Carburetor question, 04/05 250Rs, and 250X's both are 37mm, the newer 250Rs, (06-07) are 40mm. So pretty much your getting the same carb in the same year bikes. (04-05)

You'll know if you come to Cali and buy a bike here.

99.9% of other 250x's sold elsewhere are not the Cali model. I wouldent worry about it, you'll be getting the other model for sure.

I hope so..lol I'm looking at a bike in North Carilina and it has a green sticker on it. I just don't wanna get the slow bike (smog pump).

The California X model has a different cam profile than the 49 state bike. Same lift, less duration. The smog pump has not affect on performance.

If the bike has a green sticker, then it was registered in California at some time. If it's an 07 then it's "Green sticker compliant". Either way you'll want to open up the intake, exhaust and rejet it to make it run correctly.

So if i'm purchasing a bike (X) (2005) from North Carilina and it has on a green sticker, what does this mean?

And is the Cali model ANY slower or different in power than the 49 State model ?

crf250X_14

I wouldn't worry too much if the bike you are getting is slower or not... the short answer is NO.

California has different 'emission' laws that require certain dealerships (or individuals) to modify a bike so it's emissions meet the States requirements. This is shown to Law enforcement by a 'green' sticker located on the bike.

The best advice is this... Be prepared to do some slight modifying to the carb and airbox (you would have to do this with a Cali or non-Cali bike anyway)

Get to know the bike... what mods are already done etc?

And the only way to know for sure is to get your hands dirty by doing some 'hands on'... pull the carb, pull the seat and look at the air box, pull the muffler and pipe, etc. These are all things that can be done in a day and will give you a good idea of what you have in front of you.

It boils down to this... all 250X's are created equal. There is not one model that is faster than the other... only ones that meet Cali standards... or not.

Hope this helps

Van.

Halen, I understnad what's goin on now. So what are the different mods(or setups) that are done to distinguish these two models ?

Thanx alot man

One model with have emission controls out the ying-yang and the other one with either be stock or slightly modified (Jets, air box, etc)

Have you gone to take a look at the bike?

It would take 20 mins to pull the seat and look at the air box, flip the carb and pull the jets, what exhaust is on there now? what's the history of the bike? Did the previous owner buy it from California?

I think you have three choices:

1) Buy the bike and be prepared to spend a little time/money on modifications (you would do this with any bike you buy, unless it has been opened up already)

2) Don't buy the bike because you are un-certain of what you are getting into

3) Buy the bike the way it is and enjoy the thing

I don't here a lot of complaining from California about how 'slow' their bikes are... They are just a little more environmentally friendly

Ok, i'm confused. I'm from outside of the US but i'm purchasing a bike from the US. Which one is the faster one. How do I know if the bike i'm buying is that one (how does the sticker look)

1. The Texas Bike is the faster one

2. The Texas one will look cooler

3. The Sticker looks sticky