Sign in to follow this  

Coolant bottle?

Hey guys, just picked up a really low hour 04 X yesterday and got my first ride today. I have been punishing myself in the tight woods trails with a clapped out 99 CR125 for the last year- so I'm sure you can guess how happy I am!

Anyway, I was in the shop last night changing oils, greasing linkage and the like when I spotted the coolant bottle under the back fender. Being a longtime Yamaha Banshee owner, I can tell you that one of the first things most guys do is throw that thing away- the bike runs just as hot or cool without it. So my question is, has anyone pitched the bottle? And if so, did the level stay stable? Or is it needed in this case?

The bottle has nothing to do with heat transfer. Its all about coolant recovery in the case of a boil over. If you ever find yourself on a long nasty winding climb in summertime you will be glad the bottle is there. Plus it makes checking the coolant a lot easier.

The bottle has nothing to do with heat transfer. Its all about coolant recovery in the case of a boil over. If you ever find yourself on a long nasty winding climb in summertime you will be glad the bottle is there. Plus it makes checking the coolant a lot easier.

I know the bottle doesn't affect heat transfer. It's a catch and send back container for coolant, originally EPA mandated to prevent even a small amount of antifreeze from hitting the ground.

Not to be mean, but if you think that the system is full because the bottle is full, you have never had a pinhole in a recovery line. The bottle can be right on the mark with the radiator totally empty. Gotta remove the cap no matter what.

I'm thinking that the bottle will be removed and put on the shelf next to the headlight assy. and tripometer to save weight. Of course the happy button parts will stay, though I'd love to shave those 30+ pounds!

I just recently removed mine and have done approx.120 miles (3 rides) on tight technical A trails here in az and I haven't lost a drop. when it gets hot we will see but I have never boiled mine over.

Hey...I was looking at doing the same thing, but what do you do with the two hoses running to/from the bottle? Id like to put the r rear fender on.

Haven't pulled mine yet but based on other bikes, one hose goes to the radiator, right by the cap- that's the recovery hose. That hose gets routed down the side of the radiator and cut off low enough so that when it spits a bit of antifreeze it doesn't hit the exhaust or etc, just dribbles on the ground. The other hose is a vent hose that is just open with all the other hose ends down by the swingarm pivot. That one gets pulled off completely along with the bottle.