Cylinder Wear?

:applause:

Is this normal wear?

DSC01914.jpg

DSC01911.jpg

DSC01910.jpg

DSC01909.jpg

DSC01908.jpg

I'm putting in a piston kit - slap it together dry, kick 40-50 times without the plug, fire it up, idle hi until it pukes, change the oil & let 'er rip, correct?

Also, the original piston has three holes on the skirt - the replacement OEM doesn't - is this an updated design?

Thanks in advance, everyone:thumbsup:

Don't put that new top end together with that cylinder looking like that!

The wear is normal and the cylinder still has a good crosshatch but needs to be honed real bad.

Looks fine. You should get it honed but if you can't it wont be the end of your bike. The piston looks good. Keep it for a race spair with a new set of rings.:applause:

After you hone it you won't even see the marks from the piston skirts. That piston looks good too. Re-ring it and make sure that you clean the cross hatch good with brake cleaner. Looks like it was built right.

Before you put the head on. Crank the kickstarter so the piston goes up and down 10 times and then brake clean the cylinder until your towel is white. Do this for 5 sets. What you do is break it in manually to ensure a match before the bike is even started for a perfect seal.

Note: Make sure the cam chain can glide through your free hand when cycling the piston up and down. Or pull the flywheel and remove it.

That looks OEM to me. What do you see that is different Shawn?

It looks like the skirt has an anti friction coating on it...could be camera lighting angles or something....and do the OEM pistons have oiling holes in the skirt or are those teflon friction buttons?

I'm putting in a piston kit - slap it together dry, kick 40-50 times without the plug,

It's your money, but the Honda service manual doesn't say anything about doing this "dry" assembly, and the article in Dirt Rider I believe that showed Team Honda's shop rebuilding their race motors-they don't do that either,and neither did the Tokyo Mods shop,and the ProCircuit guys think it's,well -hysterical. If you don't believe that, call ProCircuit and ask them, please.

I think that out of everything I've ever read on the internet that "dry assembly" has to be the single dumbest thing I've ever heard proposed.

Just think about that one for awhile. Doug

i did a semi dry assembly on my motor, just a real light film on the skirts and thats all, motor broke in real nice... theres an instant supply of oil to the piston within a thousanth of a second after start up

I had to try it dry. I will never do that again. The power was great for a short time but it smokes now. :applause:

You guys are scaring me! I have mine assembled dry and it is sitting in the basement waiting till April when the snow melts. I was convinced dry was the way to go......