Sign in to follow this  

HELP!!!! Front brake problem

I posted this before but the thread drifted away. This is really bothering me I hope nothing is severely wrong.

The front wheel is making a clicking sound as it is spinning, and it is slightly pressured from the brake pads even though I'm not touching the lever.

I tried bleeding it, nothing. Same thing happens. Any suggestions at all? It is not hitting and spokes or anything. But it really clicks when you try to spin the tire.

Please please please let me know what you think may be wrong. I tried seperating the pads but nothing.

One of several things could make a clicking/popping sound. If your bike has a bi-metal type front rotor, it could be flexing and moving slightly where the two sections are joined. Another possible source of a clicking sound could be loose spokes or bad wheel bearings.

I bet it is your wheel bearings clicking. Either your inner spacer is worn or you have a bad bearing. Like said above, pull your brake system and start there.

use process of elimination pull caliper and spin wheel?

Good Advice!! :applause:

Then when you have the Caliper off lay a straight edge across it to check for warp. Then when you put it back on do the same. If it is good off the bike and bad on the bike then check hub and spoke tension. A dial indicator and Magnetic base are good to have for this, as many other tasks. It's a good investment. :applause:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aj26VanKGeM

Ive spun the tire just on the axle, it makes no sound. The rim is ever so slightly bent, but so little noticable that you have to spin it really fast just to see a little bit of small movement.

The timing is really off on that video, its weird, but the sound is still there. This is making me bite my teeth really hard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aj26VanKGeM

Ive spun the tire just on the axle, it makes no sound. The rim is ever so slightly bent, but so little noticable that you have to spin it really fast just to see a little bit of small movement.

The timing is really off on that video, its weird, but the sound is still there. This is making me bite my teeth really hard.

If your pads are not dragging then your wheel is bound up bad....that isn't even making a full revolution.

I don't have sound on my computer but there is something dragging bad.

Take the caliper off (a couple bolts) and spin the wheel again. It should spin pretty easily. Looked like in the video you were really forcing it to spin. :applause:

Yes I was.

Heres a weird scenario. When I take off the rim, and seperate the caliper, it works just fine, spins around fine. But when I start to apply the brake, it will put more pressure on the disc, but when I let go the pressure doesnt come off. So It's really strange because I have NO CLUE whatsoever what is wrong. I dont know if its the brake pads, because the rim is dang near straight. But theres a clicking noise.

It is almost impossible to diagnose a clicking sound by verbal description. The vid you posted is not too great either but it sounds to me like bearings :applause:

It seems as though the timing is off in the video. The wheel spins fine OFF the caliper. And the sound sounds like it is coming from the caliper.

Should I disassemle the caliper?

Could the pistons on the brake caliper itself be sticking....bleeding your brakes will not eliminate that.....

I know on DownHill MTB machines with hydrolic disk brakes sometimes the pistons can seaze or freeze up where they won't fully release. That kind of sounds like what is going on with yours. *scratching head* Do they make rebuild kits for calipers of MX bikes?

I am sorry I can't be more help.

if you take off the cal. and everything works fine. your cal. is prob. sticking. If soo you need a new one or need to get yours rebuild.

You can get a rebuild kit right off Thumpertalk store....sounds like it could be the reason ( Caliper piston's hanging up)

YZ check the bushings where the caliper slides,sometimes the rubber grommets that serve as dust boots crack and let dirt/moisture in causing them to stick,a little of antiseize may help.good luck

2 symptoms.... 2 causes?

That noise definitely sound like a trashed bearing, which would make sense because when on the bike the bearing inners are clamped so the bearing itself is forced to turn, as soon as you let the bearings free on the axle the inners can turn on the axle itself.... no noise.

The stiff wheel could be either air in the brake hyd system making like a spring and forcing the pads back against the disk or the caliper piston is sticking. Could also be a problem with the pad retainers? Strip the caliper, check the seals and look for corrosion or crap in the bore. Caliper kits aint expensive.

Luck dude.

PS: 1 or 2mm run-out on the rim is OK.