Sign in to follow this  

vapor speedo question - swapping wheels?

anyone who has a vapor chime in on this one - i know the speedo sensor is a bolt on the brake rotor, but i was wondering if i could get an extra one for my SM wheels, and have a speedo for both dirt and 17" SM wheels. is there a function that can 'save' wheel size to calibrate the speedo, or would i have to re-calibrate every time i changed wheels?

what do ya'll think?

I know you can get a second magnet for your other set of wheels.

I suggest you give the kind folks at Vapor a call. Order you magnet and see if there is 'hidden' memory function although as far as I know, there is not but... there is a fair amount of programable stuff on them that the general public is not readily priviy to.

It's also pretty easy to re-program your wheel size - I have both size wheels too - only takes a few seconds.

Once you've recorded your 2 different wheel sizes just keep'em handy and re-program the vapor when you change wheels.

I also received 3 magnetic bolts with my kit - different sizes - I just 'made' one of them fit the rotor on my 'tard wheels. :applause:

My Vapor came with two magnetic bolts, plus a third magnet to glue on if the bolts didn't work. Length was the only difference in the bolts that I could see.

As far as the different wheel sizes, all you need to do is remember (or write down somewhere) the numbers that correspond to each wheel/tire size. You'd have to go through the setup each time, but that hasn't seemed much of a problem. I haven't found any reference to a memory function for different wheel sizes. The Vapor instructions tell three ways to determine the needed number.

1) Measure diameter of wheel in inches, multiply by 3.1416, then multiply by 25.4 (or measure diameter directly in mm and multiply by 3.1416). This gives you the number you need to enter into the Vapor.

2) Mark the front wheel sidewall and a spot on the drive/road/ground that aligns with the wheel mark. Then, roll the bike forward until the wheel mark again points toward the drive/road/ground, and make a second mark. The instructions say that to be the most accurate you need to be on the bike. Measure the distance between the two marks on the drive - if in inches multiply by 25.4 to convert to millimeters. The result is the number you need to enter into the Vapor.

3) The last method involves riding a known distance and working from there. This method is supposed to be the most accurate but also looks to be the most involved. Check the manual.:applause:

Hope this helps some.

3) The last method involves riding a known distance and working from there.

Yeah, but what fun is riding without the front wheel lofted in the air. :applause: