Sign in to follow this  

Exhaust / Turn Signal Interference

I've got an '01 WR 426 with several exhaust systems for it - FMF Q, GYTR, stock YZ, stock WR. I'm finally getting around to putting everything back on to be street legal. (When I bought the bike used, it was plated, but had none of the lights on.)

My problem is that the FMF Q is way too long and high. If I use flush-mount blinkers mounted near the plate, the endcap of the silencer hits the blinker. If I use either flush or stem style blinkers on the fender, the end of the silencer sticks up too high and hides them.

The carbon GYTR that I've got is WAYYYY too loud, but performs awesome and is incredibly lightweight. It doesn't block the blinkers at all, but it's too loud for DS style riding. I've seen that they make a quiet end-cap, but it's for oval silencers, and I've got a round one.

Other than buying a newer Q that's a little smaller, what's my best option? Like everyone else, I'm trying to balance performance with quiet.

It I had that problem, I would either try making a bend on the end of the head pipe that would change the angle of the pipe OR maybe take an inch or so off the end to shorten the system. Maybe either one of those would change the angle of the pipe enough to not interfere with the can.

Mike