Sign in to follow this  

Texas Cr 2/18/07

I rode at Texas Cr on Sunday, 2/18/07. Temps were in the high 50s with just a few clouds to hide the sun now and then.

Fremont County Rd 27, which goes over the ridge and down into Bull Gulch, had too much snow on the downhill and I decided not to try it.

I rode the main Texas Cr Gulch route north all the way up to Table Mtn. There was snow and some ice in the darker spots, but I avoided falling by riding carefully. North of Table Mtn was white, white, white, so I turned back.

Reese Gulch was rideable up to the split. I took a left at the split and ran into mud and snow, so was unable to complete the upper loop.

The lower roads that parallel the river were clear. The first ATV trail north of the roads was mostly clear with just a few snowy spots (5 to 10 feet sections long).

The next ATV trail north was muddy and snowy, so I backed out of it.

If we get another week of weather like we just had (for that area), the upper Reese loop will probably open up. Bull Gulch will probably require two weeks, as will the entire set of routes north of Table Mtn.

I counted 7 bikes and about a dozen ATVs. Saw one of the street-legal KTM 525s up close. Trick. Even the knobbies were street legal!

The ATVs seemed to be going everywhere....

No LEOs were in sight, but they'll be around as the weather improves, so don't forget your OHV stickers (or plates) if you come down.

Texas Cr page

PS It cost me $5 to get the mud off my 230F when I got back to Salida. :applause:

• Like 1

We were there also on Sunday. Great discription of the conditions. Best riding we have had for months. It was well worth the drive from Fort Collins. You know we had fun because my 10 year old son feel asleep in the car before we hit the pavement. Looking to go back soon.

thanks RAMZ for the tip on the stickers. You can get the paperwork online, then fax them the completed paperwork for the quickest way to get the stickers...see you out there soon..

We are planning to go back there this Sunday. Can you pm me on Sat night to let me know how you fared with Saturday's rain/snow. tried to go to VDR today but still too wet for my level of riding. thanks

I plan to ride at TC tomorrow, Friday, 2/23/07. I think the area will get some moisture on Sat, but not much. I'll check with TC locals Sat afternoon and let you know. If they don't get much moisture, I'll probably be back there riding on Sun, as well. :applause:

I'd be down for some TC Sunday, but, we're taking a noob who's also a wife, and hubby thinks PMI is still in her cards for a bit.

Enjoy and please let us know the conditions. :applause:

I rode at Texas Cr on Fri, 2/23/07. It was warm in the morning and early afternoon. The wind began to kick up in the afternoon and the temp dropped from the high 50s to the high 40s by the time I left.

The upper part of Reese Gulch (Waterfall Loop) is now rideable with only a few muddy, snowy, and icy sections. The longish hill to/from the yellow/green cattle guard, which I ride down because I ride the loop clockwise, has snow and ice for about 50 yards. Use care and you'll have no problems.

The northern routes, beyond Table Mtn, have snow on the north sides and in dark canyons. Only the skilled and experienced will go there; leaves me out :cry:

I talked to a TC local at 2pm on Sat and she said they got no snow at all Fri night and it was sunny with no clouds as we talked, but there was wind and low temps. The wind is supposed to diminish overnight, and I suspect the temps will be in the low-to-mid 50s on Sun.

Sounds like perfect riding weather :lol:

See ya there :applause:

Don't forget your OHV stickers or plates; The Man could show at any time :applause:

Thanks for the update. I did as you suggested, got them on line and they faxed me a temp..I am good to go..