Sign in to follow this  

klr250 road trip 500 mile trip.

i just purchased this klr250 saturday at a garage sale it is a 1987 with 3200 miles[original miles]

i have driven it 80 miles since saturday and so far it 'runs great'

i'm going to take it to ,key west florida and back [500 mile round trip].

any maintenance, or things i need to do before the long trip?

all sugestion are welcome

please reply

From your description, the bike may have lain idle for some time. Thus, your FUEL SUPPLY and CARBURETOR may be affected critically.

I'd recommend you drain your fuel tank, from the RESERVE position on your petcock (the reserve orifice is lower in the tank), and PURGE your carburetor by opening the drain screw and puking out the gas through the dump tube.

These steps will get rid of the worst moisture and crud.

Then, I'd, as a minimum, run a tankful of fresh gasoline with BG 44K or some other killer additive (to dissolve any gum or crud in the carb). As a maximum, remove, disassemble, clean, adjust, and reassemble the carburetor.

If your bike's running o.k., the additive ("better living, through chemistry") alone might suffice; wouldn't hurt to add a little fuel-treatment fluid (e.g., "Heet") to the tank, also; this alcohol-based joy juice gets rid of moisture in the fuel.

For your trip, pack a new spark plug; and--make sure you have a spark plug wrench that fits (18 mm, but . . . VERY LITTLE clearance for an ordinary socket).

Enjoy your ride (hope you found your Fram filter!).

i'm also interested to see how well the trip went. i'm looking at getting a klr 250 this weekend and i live about 300 miles away from the keys and wanted to make the trip. BTW you have to hit loop road on the way there, it's amazing.

from key largo to key west, the bike was terrific 45 mph for 100 miles

...the 18 mile stretch to get to key largo from the mainland was hell, too much high speed traffic on the 18 mile stretch, not for the klr250

nice to hear you made it there and back. i ended up getting a DR350 and i plan to take it to the keys when the weather get's better. what does the KLR cruise at?