Sign in to follow this  

GYM TIME!! techniques help?

ok i go to the gym twice a week ( all i can w/ school and work ). i've been going for a few months and i can tell its definately helped my endurance. my only problem is arm pump, IT SUCKS:foul: , it hasnt gotten any better since before i worked out! my whole body is fine. i grip the bike w/ my legs, relax my hands, breath when i ride. i've researched it for a long time. just wondering what kind of excercises do you guys do to train your arms from arm pump? ( other than the squeeze grips, i have them )

*the only one i do it take the bar ( 45 lbs ) hold it behind my body with both hands and let the bar roll down my fingertips and then squeeze it back up. any other ideas? l

I have seen some other guys doing this one in the gym. You get a short metal bar (about 8" long) and tie a rope around it. Then you tie the other end of the rope to a 10lb or 25lb plate. Hold the bar (with the plate hanging down low) out in front of you at shoulder height and rotate it in your hands to slowly reel the plate/plates up.

I have found that working my triceps tends to help my forearms as long as I make sure I am rolling my wrist as I do each rep.

Ditch the lifting gloves. Use dumbbells for everything you can. There's a big difference in forearm strength between lifting #225 off the bench press rack and cranking out reps, and picking up 2x100 dbs, carrying them to the bench, laying down and getting them in position, doing your set, then getting back up with them in your hands and taking them back to the dumbbell rack. Switch to db's for 6-12 weeks and you WILL notice a difference.

Ditch the lifting gloves. Use dumbbells for everything you can. There's a big difference in forearm strength between lifting #225 off the bench press rack and cranking out reps, and picking up 2x100 dbs, carrying them to the bench, laying down and getting them in position, doing your set, then getting back up with them in your hands and taking them back to the dumbbell rack. Switch to db's for 6-12 weeks and you WILL notice a difference.

Exactly. I haven't used the rack in years. You get up to 85lb dumbells and you have accomplished something. It will take me a long time to get there again. It's amazing to see the pretty boys try with 55s and see their little wrists wobbling.

Good idea. Hadn't occured to me. I have done the rope reel technique, and it's also good. I have a Wieder squat rack/lat/bench combo in my basement and I found that the lat pulls are also good. I put a little bit of a twist to the technique to isolate what I'm gunning for, and it has had good results. I use the lat bar that is a little wider than my handlebars. I stand facing the rack with my hands spaced on the bar an equal distance as my bike's bars, with my elbows at my sides and my hands facing forward (this puts my forearms horizontal at 90 degrees to my upper arms). As I slowly pull down, I also rotate my wrists down and forward, like letting off the gas. When my arms are to the point just before locking my elbows I stop and hold that for 10 seconds. Then slowly go back up to the starting position and repeat.

This has helped a helluva lot with my arm pump problems.

You should also make certain that you aren't mistaking the effects of vibration transfer for arm pump, like I had been doing. Filling the bars with expanding foam helped alleviate that problem.

And don't forget Potassium and hydration...

for forearms after im done doing some bench presses, i put the 15s on each side of the bar then stand with my back to the bar then pick it up and just do like wrist curls i guess you could say, it works the shit out of your forearms.

You should also make certain that you aren't mistaking the effects of vibration transfer for arm pump, like I had been doing. Filling the bars with expanding foam helped alleviate that problem.

And don't forget Potassium and hydration...

i've never heard of that giving people arm pump ( vibration transfer ) . or is it doing something else that is pumping up my arms?

i've never heard of that giving people arm pump ( vibration transfer ) . or is it doing something else that is pumping up my arms?

It isn't actually arm pump, but can be mistaken for arm pump because it can make the hands go numb and ache.

Although I have to work at keeping the arm pump away, I was amazed to find out that about half of what I was thinking was arm pump went away as soon as I filled my bars with the exp. foam. As it turns out, I was suffering from not only arm pump, but vibration transfer as well. Someone on here turned me onto that info...I wish I could remember who it was, I'd give 'em their due props. :applause:

You may not have the vibration problem, but for a $5 can of expanding foam from Home Depot and 10 minutes of time, it's a cheap gamble.

I think FAST makes some anti-vibe inserts, maybe Renthal? My friend swears by them, however they are more than 5$ And that one exercise can be done better if you take a good thick dia. wooden dowel and drill a hole in the center. Thread in about 3 ft. of rope and tie a not on the top of the dowel, tie the other ti like a 5 or 10 lb. plate and slowly crank it up with arms extended, shoulder height, and then slowly let it back down. After 4 good times youll really feel a good burn.

I think FAST makes some anti-vibe inserts, maybe Renthal? My friend swears by them, however they are more than 5$ And that one exercise can be done better if you take a good thick dia. wooden dowel and drill a hole in the center. Thread in about 3 ft. of rope and tie a not on the top of the dowel, tie the other ti like a 5 or 10 lb. plate and slowly crank it up with arms extended, shoulder height, and then slowly let it back down. After 4 good times youll really feel a good burn.

Yeah, it is Fast that has the inserts I believe. I remember not being able to decide between those and the Bar Snake and then found out about the foam. I figured if the foam didn't work, it'd be easy enough to get out. But it worked, and saved about $45-50.

I just may have to buy some of this foam, what exactly is it?

It's just the commom over-the-counter expanding (insulating) foam in a spray can that comes with the straw tube. It can be found at any hardware store or home center. When I did mine, I had the bars on the bike, with the clutch-side grip already installed. Before I put the throttle ass'y. on the bar, I took a section of vinyl tubing that would just fit over the straw tube that comes with the foam, cut it to a length that was about a foot longer than the length of my bars from end to end, including the bends...I ran the tube inside the bars, working it all the way through, until it hit the end of the clutch-side grip. I then inserted the straw tube and can of foam into the vinyl tubing and started dispensing the foam slowly as I pulled the tubing slowly out of the bars. I released the trigger when I had the end of the vinyl tubing about 3-4 inches from the open end of the bars.

I did get a couple of drops on the garage floor, so you may want to put down some newspaper or something, but once the foam cured it lifted right off the garage floor without a mess.

I could immediately tell a huge difference in the reduction of the vibration transferring through the bars on my next ride. :applause:

BTW---One can of the foam was more than enough to fill a set of ProTapers cut at 30 1/2 inches. I could've easily done at least one more set with the original can....

I use the lat bar that is a little wider than my handlebars

Hey now, put a tab on a set of handlebars and use them for lat pulls...

Hey now, put a tab on a set of handlebars and use them for lat pulls...

:applause: I had that thought while I was typing that! :applause:

From my experience not working my forearm out helps the most. It seems as though working it out trains it to break down. It may get stronger but it will be used to breaking down when worked hard. This is why most top pros dont use those grip squeeze things.

From my experience not working my forearm out helps the most. It seems as though working it out trains it to break down. It may get stronger but it will be used to breaking down when worked hard. This is why most top pros dont use those grip squeeze things.

Just about everyone's body will respond differently, and of course this has to be considered. I definitely benefited from working out the lats, biceps, forearms and hands...maybe from improved circulation??? :applause:

I think one of the biggest keys that all would benefit from is the water and vitamin intake...

Ridiculous... Are you talking about arm pump from holding on, or from squeezing levers? Either way, training will increase both the number of cycles before fatigue, and the overall grip time before fatigue. Maybe the pros don't need to use grip strentheners because they've been practicing(training) for a long time, all the time.