Sign in to follow this  

Stock Suspension on a 525exc

I was wondering what everyones suggestions were for suspension on a stock 525 exc. I weigh 240lbs and am 6'3" tall. Currently, I own a DR650 and am horrified by the suspension. For it to work properly, I have to have Race Tech do the procedure for $1500. If that's the case, and the KTM is ready right out of the box, I'm switching to the 525exc.

Thanks for any and all replies ahead of time.

None of my settings would work for you, but at 160lb 5'8" the stock suspension on my '07 450 EXC is WAY stiff. I've been pulling out shims from the forks, backing out the clickers to full soft, etc.

I ride with a guy who's 6'2" 220lb, he's got an 06 450. The suspension works perfectly for him for New England woods.

You might have to do some tweaking, but it's rearranging a few $5 shims, or changing out $200 worth of springs, etc. Good equipment already comes on the bike.

The Owner's Manual for the 525 EXC states: "At delivery, KTM's offroad motorcycles are set to accommodate a driver weighing 75-85kg". That's around 165-185 pounds by my calculations.

I weigh 200 and had to replace rear shock spring and fork springs on my 525 at a cost of about $300.

I suspect that you would be very unhappy with the stock 525 suspension at your size and would incur at least similar costs getting it to fit you.

Hope this is helpful.

Currently, I own a DR650 and am horrified by the suspension. For it to work properly, I have to have Race Tech do the procedure for $1500. If that's the case, and the KTM is ready right out of the box, I'm switching to the 525exc.

umm. you realize that the d650 is a heavy-ass 'adventure' bike, designed for street riding and some light off road? and the 525exc is a full-on race motorcycle that's been slightly tweaked to be legal offroad? you're comparing apples and and aardvarks.

what kind of riding are you doing? i'm MUCH lighter than you (165 lbs), and i'm happy with my dr650 after putting in heavier springs, but i'm using it for exploring and commuting and adventure, not high-performance dirtriding.

the 07 ktm's have pretty good suspension imho, but you'll still definitely need stiffer springs. i don't know whether or not that would require valving changes for your weight, but even if it did, $500-600 should cover everything.

I was wondering what everyones suggestions were for suspension on a stock 525 exc. I weigh 240lbs and am 6'3" tall. Currently, I own a DR650 and am horrified by the suspension. For it to work properly, I have to have Race Tech do the procedure for $1500. If that's the case, and the KTM is ready right out of the box, I'm switching to the 525exc.

Thanks for any and all replies ahead of time.

I just got a 450 EXC and I weigh 250. I think the bike sinks under me. I just ordered front and rear springs from Motosport, they are the factory connection. THe total was just over 200. The front are on backorder from the manufacturer which is ok because Ill do the back then hopefully the fronts will come in.

My wife just got a new DRZ 400 and that thing was perfect out of the box. No jetting needed, comfy seat and the suspension works well for her weight. My KTM on the other hand has a rock hard seat, I just ordered a tall one from guts. I had to jet my bike just to keep it running. I guess I would have needed to do the suspension if I had the DRZ too.

No matter how you cut it up, us big guys gotta pay to play!

I am the same weight as you and I swapped the front and rear springs, after that it was awsome, no need to revalve or do anything else. Less than 250 dollars

I weigh in at 240 also. I'm a seasoned rider with 35 years of desert riding under my belt. I had to spend a boat load of money at Race Tech to make my DRZ even function fair! Out of the box my 07 525EXC is incredible even with the stock springs. Very stable at extreme speed. In the sand I can RAIL! over whoops I can go faster than I ever dreamed and I rarely bottom but I'm not big on big air any more. Maybe someday I'll stiffin up the springs maybe not.

I weigh in at 240 also. I'm a seasoned rider with 35 years of desert riding under my belt. I had to spend a boat load of money at Race Tech to make my DRZ even function fair! Out of the box my 07 525EXC is incredible even with the stock springs. Very stable at extreme speed. In the sand I can RAIL! over whoops I can go faster than I ever dreamed and I rarely bottom but I'm not big on big air any more. Maybe someday I'll stiffin up the springs maybe not.

Yup, despite all the posts that you may get to the contrary, the EXC will handle the extra weight just fine. I'm about 220 and liked the stock suspension just fine in the woods and desert, my riding buddy even really liked it for his 260 pound carcass. Well, people on these forums talked me into heavier springs front and rear. Thinking that maybe I was missing something, I bought them. $250 later, I'm thinking that I shouldn't have messed with it.

KTMs will not work properly with stock springs unless you weigh 140lbs or less.

Screwing in too much preload isn't a fix for the wrong spring.

Dwight

yeah will a KTM ride with 240lbs on it with stock springs, yes, will it be better than a modded DRZ, yes. Will it be doing all it was designed to do....No

Why buy a porshe then try and ride it with 15$ les Schwab tires? Will it run, yes, but it would be soo much better with the type if tures it was meant to have, they might not cost 15$ each, but....

If you spent close to 9000 on the bike spend the extra 250 on the correct springs, or try Nutrisystem. I did the springs and am trying the nutrisystem ( but I doubt I will loose enought to get to the 160-180lbs range which the stock springs are made for)

KTMs will not work properly with stock springs unless you weigh 140lbs or less.

Screwing in too much preload isn't a fix for the wrong spring.

Dwight

For us bigger types, are getting the stiffer springs all that is recommended? or would we benefit from re-valves/thicker oil, etc?

Doing a spring swap seems like a fairly easy do-it-yourself job (or am I missing something here) as opposed to other suspension services???

I rode two seasons on stock setup. The suspension worked ok for what I was doing. But as I progressed the suspension wasnt even close.Best money I have spent was on the suspension. I weigh 245 with out gear. I also ride with a 13 pound back pack...