Sign in to follow this  

Tinny sound coming from the motor????

I had the bike out at the track yesterday in deep sand. We had to go home early because the motor on the 2007 crf 150r was making a funny noise. It was a tinny sound like something was definately wrong inside the motor. We shut her down and headed home. What do you think could be the problem with it. I should have changed the oil sooner than we did. I was running regular Honda oil in it. The bike has about 20 hours on it.

It sounds like the old two stroke sound when the exhaust would rattle but a bit quieter

Top or bottom of the motor? Does tinny mean like a marble in a coffee can? Or a soup can? Or several marbles? Or one of those toy mehanical monkeys playing the cymbals? You need to be more specific.

Top or bottom of the motor? Does tinny mean like a marble in a coffee can? Or a soup can? Or several marbles? Or one of those toy mehanical monkeys playing the cymbals? You need to be more specific.

It got the sound of a slight metal vibration, faint but its there., Nothing too crazy.

ya like the monkeys playing cymbals but not as loud.

I had the bike out at the track yesterday in deep sand. We had to go home early because the motor on the 2007 crf 150r was making a funny noise. It was a tinny sound like something was definately wrong inside the motor. We shut her down and headed home. What do you think could be the problem with it. I should have changed the oil sooner than we did. I was running regular Honda oil in it. The bike has about 20 hours on it.

It sounds like the old two stroke sound when the exhaust would rattle but a bit quieter

20 hours? On the oil that came with the bike?

Normally you would change the stock oil after one hour, then 2 to 5 hours, then switch to synthetic, and change every 5 -10 hours minimum, in my opinion.

Check your timing chain and tensioner. With out using the retractor tool for the tensioner, back out the two bolts holding it onto the head. If it doesn't spring away from the head on it's own very much then the tensioner is probably adjusted itself out almost all the way to take up stretch in the chain. When this happens you will start to hear more noise coming from the motor as the chain has stretched to the limit of the tensioner. If this is the case you will need to replace your timing chain and guide.

20 hours? On the oil that came with the bike?

Normally you would change the stock oil after one hour, then 2 to 5 hours, then switch to synthetic, and change every 5 -10 hours minimum, in my opinion.

No the oil has been changed 2 times since new.

Was there anything else these bikes have been know to break? I am going to take it into the shop to have it looked at and I wanted to educate myself as much as I could so the mechanic doesn't take advantage of me.

I picked up my sons bike yesterday and during breakin period I heard that sound too. It's the end cap on the pipe. Take your helmet off. and rev it up. Scared me too. I had 15 mins on the motor and sounds like metal balls clanking together. Post what you find . thanks

I noticed mine making noise the other night at the track......I guess I need to repack it tighter? What has everyone else been doing to stop the rattle,

Beside change the rear section....

We had a customer bring in his 150 for that sound. It took me alittle while, but I tracked it down to the endcap also. We ordered a BBR exhaust for him. A really great mod for these bikes.

If you are not convinced it is the end cap do not tear into it.If there is a problem with the tower or the cam they might give you static about it if you tear it apart.I would take it in.

I ended up with a fmf powercore 4. quieter with race/spark arrester in with good power. I took the arrester off. WoW I should be arrested the noise level is up there sounds like a 450 from 300'. I don't think it's worth running without. very little gain in the mid range. You can get a better holeshot though. My son barely clutches it out of the hole. Second gear no problem. He's 120lbs. :thumbsup:

my crf150R does that to all it is is metal viberation. what im trying say is that its not a problem.