Sign in to follow this  

Hey Dr. Mark

[Please repost this on any and all boards--thanks!

I am convinced that we are not reading about yet another serious spinal cord injury because my son was wearing a Leatt Brace Saturday.

I'm gonna put this everywhere I can on the web and will probably write an editorial for a major motocross magazine--the Leatt Brace probably saved my 15-year old son Tommy from a serious neck injury this weekend. He cross-rutted a fast straight away section at Big Cedar MX in Valley, Alabama and got thrown on his head hard enough to break both his chest protector AND THE LEATT BRACE.

He got up, shook it off, fired up his bike and finshed the practice session. NO injuries what-so-ever. Rode practice the rest of the day. Bill Matthews looked at his helmet, broken chest protector and broken brace and said Tommy had almost exactly the same kind of impact that broke three vertebrae in his neck. Bill, a very experienced and very fast 40+ rider, recently cracked his C-1 and broke his C-6 and C-7 requiring surgery to realign and fuse them together. Bill was lucky. He is still walking but has quit a sport he loves and has known his whole life.

Tommy is luckier. Thanks to the Leatt Brace he took a shot that may have paralyzed him and rode away like nothing happened.

I have pictures of the broken chest protector and brace as well as a picture of the impact point on Tommy's helmet.

I will post them when I get them downloaded. I have posted many a tragic saddening post on behalf of Chase Borders. I could be sitting in the ER at Grady Hospital in Atlanta or in the same ICU waiting room at UAB waiting to find out about Tommy.

The Leatt Brace is now part of our standard safety equipment. I suggest you make it part of yours too.

Respectfully,

Tom Brinkman

So, I guess we start the stat collection, No?

I got mine a month ago. It took a few weeks but after one email, I recieved it a few days later. Ride on!

That is good news:thumbsup:

The brace seems like a no brainer but you never know what real world testing will bring.

Glad to hear of a good report with it being so new to everybody.