Sign in to follow this  

Small holes in airfilter. how to fix?

OK so i have a 2004 tc 450 with a new airfilter. It had a crap battery in it which leaked a few drops of battery acid on the filter so now there are a few tiny holes. I neutralized the acid with baking soda but now i was wondering if there is any kind of glue or anything that will fix the holes. the holes arent even all the way through just about 3/4 of the way through.:applause:

You shouldn't have a problem if the holes don't go all the way through. I would wash out the filter thoroughly and re-oil it, and keep using it. Then put a new filter on your shopping list for the near future. It's not an emergency thing, just a sometime in the future thing.

If the holes were all the way through it, I would replace it right away.

Steve

get a new filter. its really that important... save a few bucks on a filter, and rebuild the bike's top end in a month or two....

i dunno. you decide!

get a new filter. its really that important... save a few bucks on a filter, and rebuild the bike's top end in a month or two....

i dunno. you decide!

+1 Filters are cheap, top ends are not. Get a new filter.

Replace the damn filter-why do people question what to do when thier filter is messed up?:applause: :applause: :lol:

Replace the damn filter-why do people question what to do when thier filter is messed up?:applause: :applause: :lol:

because i just bought the bike and i dont have any money:bonk: :cry: :cry:

because i just bought the bike and i dont have any money:bonk: :applause: :applause:

Then please don't ride it until you have enough money for a replacement filter, the cost of a damaged engine is many times higher that an air filter, Ive seen ready filters as cheap as $10.00.

Speaking of air filters, is it bad to dry your air filter in the laundry dryer (when the roommates aren't home)?

I do it just for convenience. Its nice to pop the filter back in the bike 10 minutes after you just washed it.

If you can't afford to buy a new filter then how can you afford gas, or an oil change? If you can't afford an air filter you shouldn't be riding motorcycles.

OK let me rephrase that, i just bought the bike and i owe money and and i would rather not owe any more. i was just lookin for a quick fix untill i get a new filter.

Then please don't ride it until you have enough money for a replacement filter, the cost of a damaged engine is many times higher that an air filter, Ive seen ready filters as cheap as $10.00.

I'll second that comment- $10 is cheap insurance against a $1500+ rebuild...

I don't think anyone has mentioned this but ...........get a new filter! :applause: :applause:

it will be a very enlightening experience to wash your filter out in gas and then pop it in the dryer. you may want to use the delay cycle to allow your exfil to a safe distance.... PLEASE DON'T DO THIS.... sounds like you might slime your dryer or burn down the house???? get a ready filter....

To answer "your question":silicone might work if you have been using non-petrolium based oils and cleaners otherwise the it won't stick-I'm just guessing of course.I bought a brand new filter and tore it the first day(small tear) and put an ass load of rim grease in it to get me through the day.But you defenetly should have 2 new filters rotating just for this reason.

Side note, some people wash thier filters in the washer and toss em in the dryer(no-toil of course).I use a utility sink and clip it in front of a fan,dries in 20 minutes. :applause:

it will be a very enlightening experience to wash your filter out in gas and then pop it in the dryer. you may want to use the delay cycle to allow your exfil to a safe distance.... PLEASE DON'T DO THIS.... sounds like you might slime your dryer or burn down the house???? get a ready filter....

I clean the oil and dirt off with kerosene (spelling?) then use hot, soapy water, rinse, and pop it in the dryer for 10-15 minutes on the low heat setting.

How could that burn the house down? Will it ruin the filter?

Get it really clean and try and seal the holes with a hot glue gun. That should do you until you can scrape together the $$ for a new one. Just check it when you next wash it and make sure the glue is still holding. If the glue has failed, then it is for-sure time for a new filter.

How did the battery leak on it? Did the vent hose come loose?