Sign in to follow this  

TT R250 right for me ???

I am thinking about an off road bike. considering a TT R250 and I have a few concerns. First I am a fairly big guy....6' 2" and 230# ....so can the suspension handle me? Second...I am not exactly a bike mechanic, so I was hoping to find a ride that requires the least amount of upkeep. Finally ...would it have enough power for my big butt ?? I won't get too crazy , just want a few big smiles....I ain't going to the X-Games in my 40's (lol)....would be keeping the bike very close to stock........thanx in advance for any help !!!!!!

I have a 2004 ttr250, am 185 lbs, about 5'11".

I use it for trail riding primarily, but have taken it on a number of different types of rides it seems to take pretty much everything I've thrown at it in stride. Decent grunt, and a nice top end, makes for a great day. Not a race bike for sure, but that is just fine with me.

I would not say it likes being in the air all that much. It also sometimes feels pretty heavy. Tight single track is where I notice it most, but have gotten used to it and a little planning usually keeps me off my butt.

It is very reliable, just need to keep up on the basic maintenance and I think it would be a good bike for anyone looking trouble free rides.

Other than replacing oil, cleaning air filter, and replacing a badbattery, the only thing I've really had to do with any regularity is clean out the carb bowl... which consists of removing 4 bolts and busting out of carb cleaner for the most part, and is very simple.

We currently are a Yamaha family, TTR90, 125, and 250, and ride pretty much every weekend... tons of fun, still smiling from Sat/Sunday rides today.

Though this might be blasphamy here, you should also look at the crf250. TTR250 is a discontinued model this year, if that matters to you, but the WR is quite cool... Also am sure is a lot of used or unsold ttr's to be had.

Anyway, my 2 cents, now i'm centsless...

Hal

I got a TTR250 as my first dirt bike about a month ago and I've loved it. I made a few upgrades but nothing major yet. Right after this, my dad bought an XR250 and his is a little bit faster and lighter, but it's a kick start and is a royal pain in the arse to start when it's cold. My TTR cranks right up with the magic button.

I almost regretted buying my TTR because his was a little faster and lighter, but then I rode it one afternoon when it was cold and had no regrets whatsoever.

At your size buy a used XR400. run for ever and enough grunt to pull you around, I have had aTTr250 from the first year they came out, they are a great bike but to be honest it will not like pulling you around, I just put a 325 kit in mine. but you dont want to drop 500 bills in a bike you just got.

I've been on a TTR250 now for 5 months.. with my weight and height being very similar to yours.. it's done pretty good. I'm finally at race speed here in FL with lots of sand and this machine has always gotten me out of trouble. It is quite heavy though. The club that I ride with call it the “Blue Couch” because it is so soft. Think about 6 months to a year from now and if you will be doing any enduro racing or hare scrambles.. you might want to consider the CRF250X it's got the magic button and has a new engine mod this year that gives it huge kick. Stay away from the WR right now.. too many mods for a new rider.. stuff you'll need a mechanic for if your new at it. After only 5 months, I'm feeling the TTR's limitations, I'll be switching to more of a race bike like KTM 250F XC-W or even the CRF250X. Best of luck.

you will be fine its a great beginner bike, do the free mods in the sticky. if i was you i would buy a used one then sell it when your ready to move up. like everyone said this bike is a trial bike, it tractors and i would take this over my wr in tight places. you will enjoy it any questions pm me

I weigh about 220 and upgraded from my TTR 250. There isn't much out there in terms of after market items and the suspension can't handle very well once the rider get over 170 or so pounds. Of course, this varies by rider but as previously stated, look at XR400, WR250, 250F.

I weigh 225 and I'm riding a 2001 TTR250 and am very pleased with it. It's great for trails, pulls well up hills and there is just no substitute for e-start if you stall in a tight place. The suspension is definitely plush, and would bottom out in really hard riding, but for fun trail riding it's perfect. Which is just as well, since there are almost no aftermarket suspension parts available for it. Open the airbox, put a pipe on it, and rejet and you're good to go.

At your size buy a used XR400. run for ever and enough grunt to pull you around, I have had aTTr250 from the first year they came out, they are a great bike but to be honest it will not like pulling you around, I just put a 325 kit in mine. but you dont want to drop 500 bills in a bike you just got.

What he said! The XR400 will lug you aroud no problem and be easy on the wallet.

I'm 5'11" and 205 Lbs. The bike has good grunt, but does feel VERY heavy, particularly in contrast with the WR-250 and Honda CR-250X

There are good deals out there on leftover TTR250s, recently found a new 2005 leftover at $3,000 here in New Hampshire.