Sign in to follow this  

Best Glide/Skid plate for RMZ

OK, I'm a cheapo tightwad and don't want to spend $80 or more on a piece of aluminum. :applause:

Has anyone tried making one or have an old one they'd sell cheap? I have a roll of aluminum ($6) and some snips, etc that I might try fooling around with but was looking for suggestions first. Once I get it done I'll post some pics. If anybody has a used one PM me or email me a price including shipping to NC. Haven't seen any on eBay lately that were used.:applause:

i swapped from an 05 to an 07 and the difference for my WC skidplate is that the rear engine mount (with the large bolt) is now set on the inside of the frame rail and this means that you need two 20mm bobbins to reuse the 07 item, i have done this and it works fine.

They protect against impacts to the engine cases. Rocks will bust a case easily.

what you need is dependent upon how and where you ride. I do mostly rocky/rooty/rutted trails so I got the Utah sports plate. Real beefy and I don't care that it weighs 4lbs. If you only do Mx, a home made one may work for a little while. I wouldn't use anything that can be cut with tin snips though.

I found a used one for my CRF but haven't got one on my RMZ yet. I usually trail ride the crf and mainly ride the RMZ at tracks so I was only thinking about the cheapo skidplate for the RMZ. I can't remember the guage of the aluminum I have but it's too stiff to bend with your hands. I started by cutting an oversize piece and laid it over the bottom of the frame. Then I took a hammer to shape it to the contour. Once I figure out a better way to install it other than ziptie's I will post some pics. It is definitely not as nice as the devol above, but I can make about 10 of them for the price of 1 devol so we'll see how it holds up. (fingers crossed) For small rocks and debris I think it will be good.