Sign in to follow this  

$100 to spend

First of all I want to say hi and thanks for having me. I just purchased a 2006 DR-Z400SM leftover at the dealer for $1000 off sticker. I am very excited to bring it home and start scraping some parts!!

I spun a wheel at the dealer and won a $100 gift card when I bought the bike. What should I spend it on?? I dont mind adding another $20-50 on top of this for now, but I dont wanna go crazy quite yet!

8 quarts of oil, 4 Oil filters, 8 oil drain plug o-rings (upper and lower) and gasoline with the remaining money.

When everything is used up, you will be well acquainted with your bike and will be better able to reask this question and wade through the suggestions you are given.

Go now, ride like the wind!

Gear:thumbsup:

Gear i have, lots of it. i worked for Vanson Leathers for a while and have been riding for nearly 20 years.

A little about my history:::::

First bike when I was 6, Yamaha YSR-50

Then it progressed from there.... Yam tz-80, Honda RS-125, Aprila RS-250R, Then i stopped racing...

Street bikes.... 1980 GS550E, 2000 Katana 600, 1999 Superhawk, 2003 ZX-636R, Vulcan 800 classic, Ninja 250, DR-Z400SM.

I still have the Ninja 250, though it is far from stock at this point... IMG_01003.jpg

Since this picture was taken, I had set this bike up to be a Supermotard before buying the real one. It has Racetech GVE front forks with .85kpa springs, an sv650 rear shock, 2 inch taller front suspension and 3 inch taller rear. The only limitation the bike has is the little 16" rims and therefore lacking selection of rubber.

I have the same bike and you can't go wrong with Pro Taper "Contour" bars or IMS pegs(mentioned before). Both are very good parts close to $100. If you go for the bars, you need mounts to match the aftermarket bars to stock clamp. Throw in some Renthal Kevlar grips while your at it.

Must haves fro the DRZ:

Unabiker or similar radiator guards $100

Clutch and stator case shields $35

Ride the bike for some time before deciding on controls/performance upgrades.

You will enjoy the SM, it's a very fun bike!

Gear i have, lots of it. i worked for Vanson Leathers for a while and have been riding for nearly 20 years.

A little about my history:::::

First bike when I was 6, Yamaha YSR-50

Then it progressed from there.... Yam tz-80, Honda RS-125, Aprila RS-250R, Then i stopped racing...

Street bikes.... 1980 GS550E, 2000 Katana 600, 1999 Superhawk, 2003 ZX-636R, Vulcan 800 classic, Ninja 250, DR-Z400SM.

I still have the Ninja 250, though it is far from stock at this point... IMG_01003.jpg

Since this picture was taken, I had set this bike up to be a Supermotard before buying the real one. It has Racetech GVE front forks with .85kpa springs, an sv650 rear shock, 2 inch taller front suspension and 3 inch taller rear. The only limitation the bike has is the little 16" rims and therefore lacking selection of rubber.

i wanna see pics of the ninja 250 motard!!!! thats gotta be cool!

Hello, DanPorges and welcome to Thumpertalk.

I assume you have to spend the hundred dollars at the dealer so I would also recommend upgrading the handlebars like damn dummy said.

I have the same bike and you can't go wrong with Pro Taper "Contour" bars or IMS pegs(mentioned before). Both are very good parts close to $100. If you go for the bars, you need mounts to match the aftermarket bars to stock clamp. Throw in some Renthal Kevlar grips while your at it.

Deffinately do the high bars first! The stock bars SUCK :applause:

I got a DRZ SM last summer and rode it for a few months then did the 3X3, dyno jet kit, and took the baffle out of the silencer. After a quick ride I was kicking myself for not doing it the minute I got the bike home. Either the dynojet jetting kit or JD kit sells for less that $100.00.

Wow, you have had quite a collection. Why did you choose the DRZ SM.

Having the Ninja 250 was purposely done to teach myself to appreciate the basics again. I loved when I used to race the small 2-stroke GP bikes, and nothing I have owned since was even close to making me feel that way. Getting on a little 250 on the street you feel like Max Biaggi every time you take a turn.

Going to a SM was the logical choice. Useable power, pot-hole absorbing suspension, fairly low cost of entry, and slightly more power than my little Ninja as there were those few uphill rides where I would get very frustrated. The Zuk seemed like the best choice locally where we dont have alot of KTM, Husq, or Husa dealers and building from scratch wasnt in my time limitations.

You are gonna want more power. If you don't plan to dump 500 on the FCR in a few months, I'd spend the money on a jet kit for the stock carb and do the 3x3 at the same time.

I Agree with ilsrwy27 on the Rad gaurds and Case Savers.

You can get CFC Case savers for $30 on ebay - search "cfcoffroad" as a seller.

This will save you more than you can imagine in the long run..

E.g. you drop your bike from stationary, gear lever goes right through the case.

This is because the gear level has nice sharp edges and the cases are thin junk.

It'll cost you a $$$ a few hundred to sort out.

Same goes for the rad, drop it, wrap it around a lamp post. They'll bust and leak and your bike goes bye bye :cry: A costly repair again.

Be wise and get some unibikers and CFC's :applause::lol:

Oh and file down the rear of the gear shift lever, make it nice and smoooth!:applause:

Be wise and get some unibikers and CFC's :applause: :applause:

I agree, but he probably can't get either item through the dealer, and it sounds like he has a gift certificate that he needs to use to purchase items through the dealer.