Sign in to follow this  

PLEASE! Help me spend my money.

K this is like a game. You guys have a $300 limit. As you go through and post what you think would be best I will say whether or not I want it. Then I'll mark down from $300(Bike is a 2005 YZ250).

Basically I want a bike that can easy transition from Woods to Desert. I race desert but get more joy out of riding up the canyons. I would like to smooth out the power and get more traction. Basically more like a fourstroke.

I already have the following:

Stabalizer

Hand Guards

Pipe guard

Tri-starr Adjustable tripleclamp

The big two that you don't have to mention is a revalve and Rekluse. I just want to know what you guys think of them and how much money they are worth and where the best place is to get them.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Kevin

I wont mention a revalve, (but it is always first on my list when I get a new bike) how about your spring rate? correct for your weight? Possibly different gearing to smooth out the power, a FWW is a good idea, as is a skid plate for the big rock hits in the desert and canyons. As mentioned before, get some good tires for the terrain you'll be riding.

Kevin, I dont believe I would buy anything right now. It sounds like the bike is rather new to you. I know us Utah people have had about 1 nice day to ride so far.

The yz 250, basically any year, is a terrible bike to buy if you hope to improve it for 300.00. Yamaha did a great job on it. I have spent a ton on mods for mine, but it would be difficult to give you a list of things that IMPOROVED the bike enough to justify the purchase.

The tripleclamps are a great example. I cannot imagine anyone buying aftermarket clamps in the stock dimensions. There is no reason. 22.5 clamps make the bike handle different, for me better, but I would hate to make that choice for anyone else.

Test the bike for 5 rides. If you then need to change something, go for it. Still 300.00 would be best spent on wear items. I have seen few bikes that get ridden that could not use a new chain, tire, top end, etc.

If the springs are right for your weight, than I know of a few companys wear you can get a full revalve (forks, shock) for 300.

Take $70 off for the Skidplate and where do you recommend I get the FWW? What Weight should I use?

RC Thats great advice but I have had the bike out about 5 or 6 times and the biggest goal of mine is to mellow out the power delivery. I could wheelie my 450 as long as I wanted if it was straight and not to choppy. This bike is alot more difficult to keep up and maintain...Though it is coming quickly.

Take $70 off for the Skidplate and where do you recommend I get the FWW? What Weight should I use?

www.steahlyoffroad.com I would recommend either 9 or 11oz. the more technical the terrain, the more weight. For desert racing, I would personally stay stock. I do only woods riding in some pretty tight, technical terrain and have an 11oz. weight.

Boyesen rad valve, PC platinum 2, 49T sprocket. These made my bike very linear, though still peppy.

I exceeded your 300$ limit though. The rad valve and sprocket made the most difference, the pipe just beefed up the bottom w/out changing the top much. I got it after my stocker was T-boned by an idiot on a honda.

The GYTR flywheel weight adds 9oz. Its available at any Yamaha dealer. I ordered mine from South Valley. I bought it instead of the Steahly because it does not need a spacer for the ignition cover. Its a brand new flywheel, not just a weight. The cost was somewhere around 90 dollars. I think that would do what your looking for.

Maybe I did not word thsi strongly enough. EVERYONE who has added fww weights has loved them.

Dexter, Most of the pipes take away low end snap. Is that the area your having trouble in? One of the other posts says you have a pro circuit pipe.