Sign in to follow this  

Im an idiot, help please

well, i hve never adjusted my pilot screw. and recently i was messing around with my AP(trying to make it not bog off idle, i think is was cause i never adjusted the pilot), and to make things worse, i played with the needle height.

well, started having some really weird bogging issues. would bog any time i cracked the throttle open, anywhere in the rev range. sooo, i put the needle back to stock, that helped a bit. BUT, i dont knwo how i should set up the AP. like should the little arm just be touching the pump part, or slightly pressing it, so it will activate the pump as soon as the throttle opens at all? and how long should it open? like to half throttle or what?

Also, how do you get to the pilot screw to adjust it? :applause: i never did cause i couldnt get to it, and i cant find any tools short of loosening the carb and rotating it.

any ideas?

thanks

You should get an after market fuel screw - it makes things much easier. Call a dealer and find out what fuel screw would fit a 2004 - or perhaps a kind TTr could speak up....

The dealer might inform you as to how to set it too or you could check the sticky in the jetting section of TT.

You should get an after market fuel screw - it makes things much easier. Call a dealer and find out what fuel screw would fit a 2004 - or perhaps a kind TTr could speak up....

The dealer might inform you as to how to set it too or you could check the sticky in the jetting section of TT.

As far as I know no one makes one. I have researched it and cannot find one. Norm @ Kouba Link doesn't have one either. I have an '04 TE510 with the Mikuni and would like to have a fuel screw also so if anyone knows of a source let me know.

You will have to rotate the carb (cw) to reach the fuel/air screw. It's not too hard though. You'll need to remove the seat and tank, loosen the boots, I like to remove the rear brake reservoir and dangle it, take the idle adjuster out of its wire mount, make a little slack in the throttle cables and you're ready to rotate. It is much easier with it rotated, you can see the screw etc...If its bogging throughout the RPM's, its probably too lean. Remember to note where it was adjusted at the start so you can at least get it running again if you go way out of adjust. You'll have to try different pilots etc... I have a 450 so its not going to be the same jets. Maybe someone here can chime in with a ball park adjustment. Also, what is the altitude where you ride ? Very important.

Good luck

Jerry

well, i hve never adjusted my pilot screw. and recently i was messing around with my AP(trying to make it not bog off idle, i think is was cause i never adjusted the pilot), and to make things worse, i played with the needle height.

well, started having some really weird bogging issues. would bog any time i cracked the throttle open, anywhere in the rev range. sooo, i put the needle back to stock, that helped a bit. BUT, i dont knwo how i should set up the AP. like should the little arm just be touching the pump part, or slightly pressing it, so it will activate the pump as soon as the throttle opens at all? and how long should it open? like to half throttle or what?

Also, how do you get to the pilot screw to adjust it? :applause: i never did cause i couldnt get to it, and i cant find any tools short of loosening the carb and rotating it.

any ideas?

thanks

As far as I know no one makes one. I have researched it and cannot find one. Norm @ Kouba Link doesn't have one either. I have an '04 TE510 with the Mikuni and would like to have a fuel screw also so if anyone knows of a source let me know.

My kids TTR125le has a 20mm Mikuni - spent way too much time looking for a fuel screw and gave up... In some of the old archives I found where people had attached a variety of things to the end of fuel screws to make them adjustable by hand.

Here is a pic of the ttr125le fuel screw (on the left) next to the Keihin (on the right):

TTR125fuelscrewonleftfcrfuelscrewon.jpg

ok i got it. rotate the carb like Jerulator said. i got the pilot to where its at the highest RPM i could get it at. set the AP to be JUST pressing the little lever, and to open to about half throttle. seems to be better, doesnt bog throughout the rev range any more. doesnt seem to stumble off idle any more either.

at least i know how to now so if i have to adjsut it in the future i will be able to quickly,

thanks anyway guys!