Sign in to follow this  

05 crf 50 idling problem

My sons bike wont idle down when he lets off the gas, it takes a short time to idle down. I tried some wd-40 on the throttle cable and spring, but that didnt seem to help. It just started doing this and has ran fine in the past. Any help would be appreciated.

Sounds like the pilot circuit is lean . several things could have caused this ; cooler temps , a plugged or partially blocked jet , or just bad gas .

To remedy , I would first richen the pilot . Turn the idle speed screw in until you have a fast idle . Next , turn the mixture screw in until the rpm's drop . Then back the mixture screw out a half turn . The stock setting on the mixture is 1 and a half turns out . After you set the mixture , drop the rpms back down a little .

here's a few pics and some more info : http://ministothemax.com/hop_ups_carb_tuning.htm

If the screw adjustments don't fix the problem , then you may have a blocked or gummed up pilot jet . carb cleaner and a can of compressed air will cure that . Good luck . :applause:

Is it new?

I just picked one up for the kids and same issue, even in 50 degree weather.

I ripped off all of the air box crap that came with it and installed a GYTR cone type filter and it makes a huge difference. I played with the idle screw so its just above stalling, but not racing and also took off the spark arrestor and drilled 3 holes in it.

It runs tons better now.