Sign in to follow this  

Swaping out aftermarket valves before selling bike?

Swaping out aftermarket valves before selling bike? Was just wondering what you guys thought about this. I am looking at getting race tech gold valves for my 07' rmz 250. I buy a new bike every fall, and if suzuki keeps the bike the same for a few years like they did with the 04-06', the valves should fit. Is it

a dumb idea or "unheard of" to put the stock stuff back in and keep my gold valves for my new bike? I did this 2 years ago with the chain and sprockets, I took the stock stuff off my 05' and put renthal stuff on right away then when I traded in my 05' I put the stock stuff back on and got some use out of the renthal parts on my 06'. Just wondering if this is a good idea or not, i realize the valves will have to be compatiable to the 08' and I might need a revalve, but just wanted to hear some opinions?

thanks Kent

L8tr

I would avoid buying rt valves, the ones that come on the bike are better IMO, the std suspension when well setup is as good as any rider needs.

Why not. You bought them. Who ever buys your bike will want to set it up for them anyway.

greg

I dont believe the rt valves offer any advantage over std ones.

I dont believe std valves restrict the oil flow.Its all marketing IMO, ,mx tech/pro action offer small port pistons and claim they are the best, ive heard RC rides with std pistons in his bikes, and i do beleive it.Small ports=less shims, large ports=more shims, the question of which is best is not really proven, both can work well, the difference is they charge you for things you dont need.

I have ridden many bikes with many different valves(some with rt ones that work well), i revalve std pistons and IMO get very good results.If the std ports are big enough for RC, are they not for me and you?Are you saying a 250lb rider is the only one who needs RT valves?

Have you any proof the std pistons are restrictive other than what RT says?

LOL i just realised you are a racetech employee-i guess i will have to accept you wont agree with me and in turn i dont have to agree with you.

The valves in a showa fork are IMO pretty big already....thats why they have 15 face shims on them, especially compared to say a old KYB fork(3.5mm port holes), so why is bigger better?

Some road bikes had pistons that were 0.25mm in diameter(with large openings to the port)surely that fork would instantly lock up-but it didnt.

Next example the 06 kxf 450 has very small ports i seem to remember, strange thing is you dont see people saying how the fork locks up on high speed movements, why? because it doesnt......

The pistons do not restrict oil flow. The shims that cover the pistons restrict oil flow. The arrangement of the shim stack determines how much. The stock pistons flow plenty.

If you look at the pistons from the side with the shims installed you see the where the restriction is on the stock pistons. There is a tiny slot where the oil has to flow. Most aftermarket pistons, even the ones with small ports have a larger slot allowing them to flow more oil. You can make the stock piston setup work better by changing the shims but not as good as the aftermarket valves. Maybe if you ride as fast as Ricky the restricted oil flow gives you the damping required to make the forks work. For most of the rest of us, more oil flow makes for plusher suspension.

greg