Sign in to follow this  

07 RMZ250 won't start.

I bought a 2007 RMZ250 about a month ago. Saturday I changed the oil (engine has 1 ride [break-in ride] on it), and rode it down the side of the road. It was hard starting, but it was cold, so I didn't pay it any attention. I let it warm up good before riding (about 2-3 minutes). I turned around (went about 200 yards), and headed back to the house. I got on it a bit, hit 4th, and when I got back in it, it DIED. I've kicked and kicked. The bike will not start. Here is a list of what I have checked so far, and some of the bad things I have found in this new engine:

1. Gas (yes, it has it, and it is on).

2. Plug (replaced).

3. Timing.

4. Pulled the head (* Whoever originally built this engine did a poor job. They did not torque any of the bolts to the same specs. The intake cam cap would have been ruined, if I had not spotted this. One of the bolts was only finger tight in it! One other guy has already complained about this same problem, with these bikes.) Head seemed fine. Did notice some off-white build up in one of the exhaust ports (water, maybe???).

5. Engine has compression.

6. Engine has spark (don't have a multi-meter here to test it. I'm getting one from work tomorrow.).

What else can I check? Gas has been in it since the 19th of Jan. 93 octane (pump). Like I said, it was running fine, and just killed out. This has me worried guys. What now? :applause:

Did you change the oil filter at the same time? Maybe overfilled the oil and blew a seal somewhere - you mentioned some white build up... I've founf when I change the oil and filter and tip in 950 mls, I still have to let alot out from the level hole.

Mine starts so easy it's ridiculous. I find that the slower I kick it, the easier it starts. It even starts sometimes when I'm just kicking it through trying to find TDC. But the weather is pretty warm here in comparison. What does your shop think?

Haven't contacted them yet. Going to do that in the morning.

When I said it was cold, I meant like 40 degrees. Not too awful bad (I'm in Alabama). I will try and drain some oil, but would that really cause it? The piston wasn't oiled down, and there are no visible leaks anywhere. I keep wanting to think it isn't firing hot enough. Every so often, it will backfire, but hasn't even acted like it wanted to crank. It had a CR8EIA-10 plug in it. NGK doesn't even show that plug on their website (although they are the ones who make it). I replaced it with a CR8E (The stock one didn't look bad, and I have rotated them back and forth, through all this effort).

Thanks for the advice though. :applause:

Ok, first change the gas again,then check to see if the carb is getting gas, take off hose let run thru then put it back on, then check and clean your air filter, it may be clogged, also your rubber parts for cracks or blockage, then clean and check your carb for any dirt ect. and finally set the float level again. :applause:

Check for a plugged up pilot jet, and if it is not plugged up give it 2 twists of the throttle and kick it with no choke.

Just a thought here and it may have no relevance to your problem, but one thing that happenned to me once was a pinched wire to the kill switch from getting it trapped between the bars and a tie-down. When the two wires would touch inside the plastic covering, the bike would cut out and refuse to start. Drove me F-ing insane for a while until I figured it out. That was years ago and I've tried to avoid it since - knock on wood it hasn't happenned again.

I tried unplugging the kill switch early on. Still had the same symptoms. It is getting plenty of spark (will shoot an arc about 1 1/2 inches across to make a spark, with the plug pulled, so I assume it is not the switch.

Check the idle knob adjuster. When I got my '04 it wasn't turned up enough so when I was trying to kick it with no throttle it wouldn't start. I think turning it in will raise the idle which is what you'd want. Another time my '04 wouldn't start was because it had a cracked big bore kit piston. It would want to start and backfired but when I took the head off found the crack - probably not your problem though.

Piston looked good (at least the top of it, I didn't take it out). I've adjusted that dang knob from all the way in, to all the way out (literally, it fell out). :applause:

Yes. It is full. I had to drain it when I took the head oof, but filled it back up. I flushed and replaced it with Dex-Cool also. I've been using it in my bikes for a while, and it seems to work really well for me.

It can't be that hard to figure this out...

To run it needs compression, ignition, fuel and air. For compression as long as the valves have some clearance and the motor has some resistance when you kick it through that should be good. For ignition you can check for spark but you'll also need to make sure the timing is correct. If the ignition rotor has spun on the crank the timing mark (TDC) on the rotor will no longer align with the cam sprockets. Fuel should be easy since even if all the jets were plugged up in your carb blipping the throttle would provide enough fuel via the accellerator pump to at least fire it for a couple seconds. For air just make sure nothing is obstructing the intake or exhaust. My best guess is that you have an ignition problem...

I'm thinking the same. It seems electrical. I have spark, but I don't have the tools here to check and see if and when it is right.

Cam gears are in time with the TDC mark. Compression is good. It backfires, and the plug gets wet, so it is getting fuel. Intake looked clear or obstructions. I keep thinking it is an ignition problem.

have you tryed bump startin the bike like runnin down a hill and putin it in gear? sometimes i used to have problems with my bike when it was new and had to bump it sometimes. just a thought.

have you have the fuel screw out, i know people who have done that on the older ones and lost the little O ring and it sucks in air and backfires(it will only start by push starts-have your tried this)

Fresh oil change, then it dies and now wont re-start.

Cam gear spun due to cam shaft lack of lubrication?? Using the timing marks, make sure your cam lobes are in proper location.

At TDC exhaust lobe should be at 10 o clock intake lobe at 2 o clock looking in from the left side of the motor.

check the hot start cable and adjustment. the hot start on my crf was stuck and had the same symtom your describing. remove the carb end and grease the linkage.