Sign in to follow this  

New to site, new to 4 strokes as well

Hey guys!! Im new to the site, been readin up and lookin around for a few days now. Heres my question, Ive never owned and 4stroke, Ive ridden quite a few but always been on 2 strokes. I just bought a 03 crf450 with 12 hours on it. I have heard that the hondas like to eat valves. Personally I think they all do but whats the opinion around here? Did I throw away my money? Or just make vet class a whole lot funner?

Again, new here, but thanks in advance.

P.S. i raced a 125 in vet class before so Im hoping its more fun !!!!

Congrats and welcome to the site. Let me first start by saying you bought a Honda, Good Job :applause: . Now honestly, do you think that they can sell million's of bikes a year that won't run much more than 12 hours or 3 rides. Come on man, these things are bullet proof, unless you ride this thing like you stole it, it's gonna last you quite a while! Be careful to do the regular maintenance and it will take care of you.

Go ride, have fun, :applause: and if you do encounter any problems, let us know; but I think your gonna have a great time and really enjoy that 450!!!

mx261, welcome to the psycho ward.

I too, am on my first ever stroker. Love it. Kept my smoker, still love it too...I'm pretty sure that's a crime in some states...

My personal take with regards to the maintenance and relevant rebuild/repair expenses is this: You get back exactly what you put into it. Be diligent with the routine maintenance and you will be richly rewarded.

p.s. there is a ton of great info readily available through the search, be wise and make good use of it. You'll be glad you did.

Welcome Brother.

You've been miss informed,, your bike eats tires, chains, sprockets, yamadogs,zuks, and kawis,, not valves!!!

Enjoy your new scooter..

Welcome Brother.

You've been miss informed,, your bike eats tires, chains, sprockets, yamadogs,zuks, and kawis,, not valves!!!

Enjoy your new scooter..

I knew I was forgetting something....:applause:

Thanks for picking up my slack there, Red double nickel!:applause:

Welcome Brother.

Enjoy your new scooter..

Yeah what he said :applause: :applause: :lol:

I still have an 03 and I ride the crap out of it. If you keep good clean oil, clean the air filter regularly you should be fine. I have yet to shim mine, grant it, I am not killing the rev-limiter either.. Unlike the smoker, the 4 stroke likes to be lugged. If you run it on the limiter all day at 13,500 rpms, something is gunna give...

if i were to find a brand new 03---even though i have one---i would pay what i paid back in late 02 for it---6100 bucks---my 03 has been great----no problems----i shimmed an intake back in 04 but is what off by only .001----it still runs like the day i bought it!!!!!and if it blew to smithereens this year i would not be disappointed----i have all the parts on the garage shelf waiting----and i have a feeling they will be waiting some more

The 03 is a great bike! I rode one for 2 seasons,loved it. Actually I liked it better than my 05 (The power delivery of my 05, piped and tuned had a huge hit in it, not good for a Vet). Get a good set of offset clamps,pipe,and revalve, and it will feel just like the 07!!