What Bikes Are We Missing? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Ladies - am I being a wimp, or am I getting old?

I've been riding for about 2 years now, and I'm trying to figure out if I'm being a wimp, or is it just my brain?

The situation is that I'd love to ride like my husband the other guys that I ride with, but they are WAY FAST!!! I think that I'm getting better, and quicker, then I ride with them and poof, they're gone. We ride in tight woods, so it's a bit sketchy sometimes on the trail. Don't get me wrong, I'll go anywhere, I just get there slower. I try to go as fast as my brain will let me (it keeps telling me that my body not broken is a good thing), but in reality it's not anything as fast as the guys.

Am I being a wimp and being afraid of getting hurt, or is this a time issue? Will I get better with more time on the bike?

FYI here's a link of some helmet cam footage my husband took so you can see where we ride.

http://media.putfile.com/PNWet-Trail-Sampler

• Like 1

Am I being a wimp and being afraid of getting hurt, or is this a time issue? Will I get better with more time on the bike?

Yes, and yes.

Being afraid of getting hurt doesn't make you a wimp, though. It does make for a slightly longer learning process than those who throw caution to the wind and twist the throttle WFO. It's also an age thing, but not because you are "old" in any sense of the word. Pretty much any of us who learned how to ride after we were out on our own, no matter how old, are more cautious than those who learned at a young age when they were still living with their parents.

So keep after it, and the seat time WILL make you faster. One thing that helps speed is mixing up your riding: Trails and MX, desert and sand dunes, rocks and trees. Riding the same thing all the time cements your habits both good and bad, but alternating tough rides with easy ones or MX with trails will really spur you to learn new lessons and apply new techniques. Even if you never plan on racing MX, a day at the track now and then or even a class (Eric Waunch teaches some women's MX schools) will REALLY boost your trail performance as well.

• Like 1

I've been riding for about 2 years now, and I'm trying to figure out if I'm being a wimp, or is it just my brain?

The situation is that I'd love to ride like my husband the other guys that I ride with, but they are WAY FAST!!! I think that I'm getting better, and quicker, then I ride with them and poof, they're gone. We ride in tight woods, so it's a bit sketchy sometimes on the trail. Don't get me wrong, I'll go anywhere, I just get there slower. I try to go as fast as my brain will let me (it keeps telling me that my body not broken is a good thing), but in reality it's not anything as fast as the guys.

FYI here's a link of some helmet cam footage my husband took so you can see where we ride.

I have ridden with your husband and Ryan, and can say firsthand, you are not alone in bringing up the rear-they haul the mail quite well.:applause:

Discretion is the better part of Valor!:applause:

maybe they can try to go around the teail twice if they're that slow. If not ask him what means more to him, the dirtibke or you? actually, maybe don't ask him that. :applause:

BTW, I left a comment on your vid.

Nice video. I know what you mean about getting left behind. I have been riding for 2 summers (I don't get very many chances to ride during early spring and winter or late fall.) I have only ridden with my BF and his friends- all of whom have been riding forever. Usually he is good to me and will ride behind me, so I don't get too left behind, but, then I always spend some time just hanging around by the trucks while the guys go off and ride wherever they want as fast as they want. Ends up meaning I get to ride about half the time.

I DO like riding with James (my BF) because he will give me tips and tells me how I'm doing, but sometimes it's frustrating when I go too slow for him and he gets cranky with me.

So, where was the video taken. Looks pretty much like all our trails out here in Western Oregon. Have you been to China Hat in Bend yet? We went camping there and plan to again this summer, and I REALLY enjoy riding there. Rather than being so tightly wooded, so you have a hard time seeing where you're going, it's open. Just a little sandy sometimes. Great whoops and nice open trails. I love it!

Ride at your own pace. You will get there, in time. FC has some great words of wisdom.

Saddle time will get you there....if that is where you want to be.

It's your brain self preservation thing. There's no shame in being cautious as long as your still striving or pushing to improve and yes, you'll alway's get better with time in the saddle.

Getting hurt sucks. (period)

I noticed huge improvements in my riding skill after I spent some time at the track and also when I consistantly "chase" someone.

You're riding some technical stuff, that in itself is a big thing! :applause:

It never hurts to mix it up at the track or with a riding class and I would also ask your hubby or one of his buddies to "real you in". It's where they cruise just a little faster than your pace, so you can still see or catch a glimpse of them. Your objective is to keep him in sight, to hold that pace, for 1/4 or 1/2 or the whole ride (whatever you decide, BEFOREHand). If you bobble, it's up to you to make up that distance. If he bobble's, you can whoop & giggle but you don't get to run him over.

Kimi

Hell, I know I am getting old. I can ride super fast on the flats, but JUMPING is the thing I have trouble with, and I can not ride DOWNHILL at top speed. I feel your pain.

Tell you what, when I get back on my bike in like 2 months me you and your girls and my girl can go riding... I've heard about how your hubby rides, and it sounds quite impressive. Mr told me that they ride hard and coming from him, well... We can be spodes together... :applause:

Ride a comfortable pace. As long as you are having fun, who cares.

FC had some good advice, about mixing terrain and taking a riding class.

The more you ride, the more you will improve.

I call it the "comfort zone". The more saddle time you have the more speed you will have in that zone. In my younger days i rode fast and hard but never faster than I felt comfortable at. If you ride over your head chances are something is going to happen. Have patience it'll all come together. No your not a wimp. Just out of curiosity, what do you consider old?:applause:

Thanks for the great video!

What kind of bike are you on? I ask because play bikes don't eat up trail junk as well racing enduro bikes can. A plusher ride might help your speed. Everybody rides at their comfort level & with better suspension your comfort level goes up & so does your speed.

I went from a CRF230 to a KTM400 EXC & my first ride in the woods on it I felt slower because I wasn't used to it. However my brother-in-law was claiming I was way faster. It just eats up trail junk that used to bounce me around.

Better suspension is an important part of going faster on rutted, rooted, rocky trails.

Push it as much as you can with out getting hurt. Where that line is, is hard to say. I've misjudged it many times. Pain & no riding for a month is the reward. So, staying within your limits is not all bad!:applause:

When you get older you definitely want to crash less!:applause: There's some people that I'll just never be as fast as. I still love to ride!

Ride safe & have fun!

Thanks for all of the replies. First off, I ask to be put in the back of the pack. I can take care of myself (pick my bike up, etc.), but I know that I am the slowest and don't want to slow the guys down - being last is no problem to me.

I ride a xr200 and we are currently looking to get me a KDX200. I have to say that I can get anywhere (stall on a hill, and not have to back down to get up it) with it. My husband tells me that just the braking difference on the KDX will make a huge difference.

I do and will keep trying to get better - I noticed this weekend how my downhills were getting better - baseball sized loose rock downhill can be scary!:applause:

The other thing I have to remember is that they have years of experience, I only have 2. I'll keep on keeping on!

Thanks for all of the replies. First off, I ask to be put in the back of the pack. I can take care of myself (pick my bike up, etc.), but I know that I am the slowest and don't want to slow the guys down - being last is no problem to me.

I ride a xr200 and we are currently looking to get me a KDX200. I have to say that I can get anywhere (stall on a hill, and not have to back down to get up it) with it. My husband tells me that just the braking difference on the KDX will make a huge difference.

I do and will keep trying to get better - I noticed this weekend how my downhills were getting better - baseball sized loose rock downhill can be scary!:applause:

The other thing I have to remember is that they have years of experience, I only have 2. I'll keep on keeping on!

Just a thought. I rode an XR 200 for one year, and then almost bought a KDX 200. They are great bikes and I doubt I would have been too unhappy with it. HOwever, before I actually signed paperwork, someone told me I wouldn't be able to handle a KTM and my pride got all hurt and I bought one.

SO glad I did. The KTM is the KDX, refined. pipey-er, yes, but also much better in many other ways.

I bet you are doing great, it's just you are riding with guys way faster than yourself. Which isn't a bad thing, cause sometimes you get faster by riding with people faster than yourself, but, it helps when you can keep the person or people you are following in sight, at least a dust trail so you know they are right around the next corner. It is hard to push yourself when you are riding alone. That being said, it would help your confidence, ego, whatever, IF you had someone to ride just a tad bit faster or at least you same pace. I know that feeling, when the group you are with are all way faster and it doesn't help my esteem one bit at the end of the day, after they had all been waiting on me at the end of each trail section with their helmets off, like they been there all day! But, then I have days when it is a mixed group and I am mid pack and I am waiting on others, or have been chasing someone just a tad faster and I feel great about my riding at the end of the day.

I, like FC and maybe yourself, started on the XR(2 years), then moved to the KDX, I don't regret one bit going to the KDX next, great bike! You will have a little bit of a learning curve with the 2 stroke, but not much, it might at 1st feel like a step backwards until you get used to when the power hits, but you will love it. You will be able to get to point "A" to point "B" faster and need less time to brake, I suspect you might be letting the 4 stroke's motor do some braking for you by just rolling off the throttle, instead of throttle on, brake, throttle back on. A 2 stroke is just a whole new, fun level of riding, IMHO.

But, after riding the KDX for 9 years, the only regret I have about the KTM was not getting it sooner! Which really, I never would have gotten if my KDX did not get stolen, so after all the tears of the KDX getting stolen, something good came out it, my KTM!

Good luck and keep at it, you sound like a very independant rider, which is a good thing. :applause:

I actually have been looking for both KTM and KDX - it's a matter of money and availablity. The KTM 200's a few and far between, the KDX's are easier to find. I check Craiglist a couple times a day for either one - which ever one comes up first, I'll take it.:applause:

I actually have been looking for both KTM and KDX - it's a matter of money and availablity. The KTM 200's a few and far between, the KDX's are easier to find. I check Craiglist a couple times a day for either one - which ever one comes up first, I'll take it.:applause:

I have seen used 200s go for between 1800 and 3000, which really isn't THAT much mroe than KDXs. and don't forget to search outside your area ... a road trip to pick up a bike is an excellent excuse to do some riding in a new area. :applause:

HEY LOOK WHAT I FOUND

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/269134461.html

In my opinion....NO you're not getting old, I'm only 20 and I have some of the same issues as you. I think with me its more my brain sayin.....ouch thats gonna hurt if I don't take my time and concentrate (SP?), But I am getting faster...just having to push myself to do one more thing that I just didn't think I could easily do each time I ride.

PS...found out riding a dirt bike when the ground is soggy and wet is not a good thing...:applause: So other than that I keep tellin myself I need to push harder!