Sign in to follow this  

How high should forks be in clamps?

Hi all,

what’s the deal with the fork height in clamps???

Can someone please enlighten me as to what effects difference heights have and what the standard height should be?

I have attached a picture of my current setting...

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=35907

Cheers all :applause:

I think the manual explains it. What did you use to loosen the cap a pipe wrench or vise grips? They have a tool for that also.

Raising or lowering the forks in the clamp will change the steering geometry of the bike. If you raise the tubes in the clamp the steering will be quicker at the sacrifice of straight line stability. The owners manual should cover fork placement. Generally the bottom of the lock nut sits at the top of the triple clamp, but it's adjustable depending on how you want the bike to turn. Just make sure they're both the same. Do yourself a favor and buy a lock nut wrench(50MM) if your going to work on your own forks.

Cheers folks...

I already have the proper tool but I'd previously butchered the tops with grips before owning it, :applause:

Hi all,

what’s the deal with the fork height in clamps???

Can someone please enlighten me as to what effects difference heights have and what the standard height should be?

I have attached a picture of my current setting...

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=35907

Cheers all :applause:

That pic is ugly. Ouch. Hope she's ok.

it will change the riding preformance. Wat i mean is if u were Lower the forks in the triple clamps, it will raise the front end making the bike harder to turn

(like a custom made chopper) but will increase high-speed stability the front.... Raising the forks in the triple clamps will lower the front end making the bike turn sharper but will reduce high-speed stability