arm pump!

All of the above, and additionally I always had great results from working out on my Wieder rack in my basement. The lat pull-down has a handlebar attachment and I would use it while standing, starting with my elbows at my sides, hands straight out in front of me, gripping the bar the same width as when riding. Using slow and controlled movements, I'd bring my hands down until my elbows were just before the point of locking and hold it there for ten seconds, then slowly return up to the original position...I also rotate my hands forward and down (like letting off the throttle) on the downward motion, in order to actually get the forearm action along with the triceps. Worked for me, of course everyone's different...

And don't forget the importance of proper hydration...

Get your heart rate up before you even get onto the bike, it helps the circulation in your arms by getting everything open and flowing before you grab ahold of the bars. Proper hydration is just as important, and potassium helps as well. |If you are doing a lot of off-road riding a steering damper will do wonders. I refused to get a dampner for years thinking it was a crutch, wrong, I wished I would have bought one sooner, it definately helps reduce the death grip on rocky rooted trails.

• Like 1

Once you get arm pump, you just have to relax and take it easy. The real question is... why are you getting it?

I used to get arm pump when climbing hills. I was always over clutching trying to keep the motor spinning in the power band. Now that I am better, I use throttle control and I haven't had arm pump in a long time.

Are you using the clutch too much?

• Like 1

A few things that help me:

1. When you're riding, don't push down on the bars, or hold on too tightly (unless you hit survival obstacles...). If you lean too far back while standing, that will also make you hold on too tightly.

2. Your hands should be LIGHTLY resting on the grips. The better you are at being centered on your feet, the less strain will be placed on your forearms.

3. Also, when you first grab the throttle grip, reach over the grip by a 1/4 to 1/2 turn. Then, when you twist back to give it throttle your hand will be level rather than twisted back.

4. Someone also metioned this, but eat bananas regularly (3 times a week). The potassium will make a huge difference, especially on the day you ride.

5. Don't wear a watch. When your forearm pumps up (which it will, no matter what), the band will be constricted and will make the forearm pump much worse.

6. If you can coast occasionally on downhills or level trails, open your fingers and shake your whole arm up and down. Only takes a few times to loosen up the arm and get more blood circulating where fingers may have been constricted.

7. Use a steering stabilizer (I like Scott's). Until you have one, you won't notice how extra-tight you are holding on going through rocks and across ruts.

8. Use soft grips, as someone else mentioned.

9. On the days you ride, don't drink sodas, iced tea, or other drinks that contain caffeine. Caffeine contributes to cramping. Drink water, Propel, juices, Gatorade, etc.

Hope this helps!

• Like 2

A few things that help me:

2. Your hands should be LIGHTLY resting on the grips. The better you are at being centered on your feet, the less strain will be placed on your forearms.

BINGO!! That's the one I was waiting for. I've said it too many times so it's good to see someone else saying it... YES, I used to eat bananas and everything else. In some of my events, I couldn't get my hands off the bars to hand my score card to the Observer. And when I did, my fingers would curl up.

20 years later, I finally found out that I was hanging onto the bars for support and balance. Now that I focus on the foot pegs, it's a whole different world. I let the foot pegs push me and hold me back in hard braking or downhill. I don't "lean" forward nor "lean" back. Don't squeeze the tank for support either. there are times to do it but not for balance or support.

Get your boots to roll around on the pegs to keep all forces going through your feet and only use your hands for the times that you aren't quite up to par or when you just need to rest the legs and lean on the bars in easy stuff.

Of course, the other tips help especially the water and sport drinks, but staying "Centered" over the pegs in all conditions is the number one cure. :applause:

Of course, the other tips help especially the water and sport drinks, but staying "Centered" over the pegs in all conditions is the number one cure. :applause:

Agreed. And if one is in need of rock-solid evidence of this, the massive thigh cramps at the end of the first ride using this method should show anyone just how much they've been depending on the bars! :applause:

Agreed. And if one is in need of rock-solid evidence of this, the massive thigh cramps at the end of the first ride using this method should show anyone just how much they've been depending on the bars! :applause:

? That's true, at least for a few weeks... Every new Riding Season, it takes me about 4 good rides to get past the point where I can ride most of the day before my legs turn to rubber. 6 weeks or so and I can ride all day and still have enough strength to walk to the Van for a beer :applause: