Sign in to follow this  

Valve issue???

My wife bike ran like a champ until this weekend. Now we are having a real had time starting it. I'm thinking it might be a valve issue. What are the signs when the valves are going out?

real hard time starting it

There you go. #1 sign your valves are going south is hard starting.

That's what I was told by one of the guys we were riding with. If it is the valve any suggests on what valves to replace them with, and a local shop in So. Cal that does great work?

Not sure about shops because I'm in Nor Cal. If you have a Honda dealer or a good dirtbike place see if they can do it and compare prices.

As for valves, you probably won't need new ones. They just need to be shimmed.

If you do need new ones though, Stainless Steel ones are nice, and last a long time. I don't have these but plan on getting them when my valves are gone.

Tom,

What year is the wife's 250X??

If it's an older one, you may just want to go with the RHC 07 head and Ferrea coated Steel valves.

If it's an 06, then just replace valves and springs and have the seats recut.

Call JD at RPM on Ruether.

Or if you wanna tackle it yourself, I'd be glad to help.

AS

AS, it's a 05. I will give you a call when I get back in town later in the week.

My wife bike ran like a chap until this weekend. Now we are having a real had time starting it. I'm thinking it might be a valve issue. What are the signs when the valves are going out?[/QUOTE]

Yes, hard starting is the beginning of the end for the Stock Valves.

Other than that they are pretty nice Bikes!

Plenty of info on TT here to help you through it.

Another sign is backfiring more often than usual, especially on deceleration. I wouldn't pay to have someone shim it for you, as it will only last approximately 2 rides, then the problems resurface. You can read about this all day long on this site, but most of us who have been around for a while have all had to deal with the valve situation at least once. Find a friend to help you wrench it, then you can use better than stock replacement intake valves like Ron Hamp or Pro Circuit. The stock exhaust valves are stainless so most people go with them anyway.

If it needs a valve job and I use good valve should it last a lot longer then the stock ones?

Tom,

What year is the wife's 250X??

If it's an older one, you may just want to go with the RHC 07 head and Ferrea coated Steel valves.

If it's an 06, then just replace valves and springs and have the seats recut.

Call JD at RPM on Ruether.

Or if you wanna tackle it yourself, I'd be glad to help.

AS

Agent Smith

As you stated the RHC valves are coated STEEL. What are the stock exhaust valves made of?

Agent Smith

As you stated the RHC valves are coated STEEL. What are the stock exhaust valves made of?

Titanium I believe.

Agent Smith

The exhaust valves are made of steel.. intake are titanium

SS valves, lead in your boots, don't climb hills...

I disagree.....SS valves just put in 2 weeks ago and see no difference from stock ti valves.