Seriously considering a 450 XC-G

I currently ride a 2005 Honda CRF 250x. Bike handles great and I really love the bike but I have already rebuilt top end once and getting ready to have to change valves and the bike is only 15 months old. I have ridden some 450's and I am seriously considering a 450 XC because I have heard a lot of great things about these bikes. My question is are you guys experiencing any valve troubles with the 450 XC. Also, what mods are you guys doing to open the bike up. (i.e. carb adjustments, exhaust changes, etc.). I have heard that these bikes are pretty well set up as stock. I would really appreciate your feedback. I don't mind doing the maintenance, in fact, I enjoy working on the bike, but the valve issues with the crf 250x are killing me.

Hello Howards. I am by no means a pro on any of these subjects, but I'll tell you what I've done. I just purchased an 07 450 xcw last fall. I was coming off a WR450. I have purchased the JD jetting kit, the Honda diaphram for the AP and a fuel screw. I haven't messed with the air intake or the exhaust. The intake comes stock with a Twin Air. The exhaust seems to be pretty loud but no other complaints. KTM seems to push the advertisement "RACE READY". For me this is true. I'm sure for the ultra competetive rider it's probably not. It seems as if KTM puts on their bikes stock what I always used to have to upgrade too on my Jap bikes. Twin Air filter, Excell rims, heavier spokes, hydraulic cluch etc.etc. One thing to consider is the XC will come stock with a pretty stiff suspension vrs. the 250x suspension stock. The XCW is similar in feel to the X's. My brother rides an 04 250X and I have spent quite a bit of time on it.

Re-jet, add a spark arrestor end cap and ride. You can do a ton of stuff to these things but jetting is the only thing thats totally needed. Mine has needed 5 or 6 valve adjustments in the last year and a half. Probably 100 hours on mine so far. Biggest thing that bugs me is the crappy gas cap, but it can be fixed by a $60 cap, or a replacement tank. I'm not even considering a new bike this year I like my xc so much. If you get one PM me, I've got jetting specs that run great using Kehin parts.

I haven't had anybody who rode my bike who didn't whish they bought it rather than theirs (CRF250, YZ250 smoker and even an '05 525exc). The suspension feels plusher and more controlled on my bike than a buddies stock CRF250.

Mods:

spark arrestor

JD jetting

Handgaurds

Skid plate

Gas cap will leak. Try to get the dealer to throw in an extra and keep one for storage and one for riding (the storage cap will swell up pretty bad).

Good luck,

Ed

I love mine, and '07 is the first year since I started riding dirt bikes that I'm not getting a new bike. What would I replace it w/? Can't think of anything that would be better for me.

Just had my first problem at 57 hrs. - one of the e-start wires behind the # plate came loose. S/b a simple solder job to fix.

Other than that, did the initial rejet, then just keep up w/ oil/filter changes and valve adjustments. It's been a rock solid bike, and is very fun to ride.

You can get the Honda dia from JD, if your already getting a kit from him anyway just add it to your order. IDK the part # from Honda, but a quick search should find it. Biggest improvement I found with the dia was fuel mileage. Throttle response is a little better too.

I went on a ride with a buddy who was on an identical bike as mine. Jetting was the same except for the dia. He ran out of gas at 45 miles, I finished the 58 mile ride with about a quart left over.

One other thing you might want is a softer seat. Stock is pretty hard, gave me a bad case of monkeybutt if I rode more than 45 minutes. I went with an SDG tall, its better than stock but EE or Guts are the best.

Ed, thanks for the reply, I am actually going to ride a buddies 400 xcw this weekend and if I like it as much as I think I will, I going to pull the trigger on the 450xc

thanks again,

Howard

Howard, please give a report on the 400 xcw. My brother with the 250x is thinking about buying one. His concern is the bore and stroke ratio. What I mean by that is the 400xcw is small bore short stroke-my 450xcw is small bore long stroke and his 250x is big bore short stroke along with the 450xc. I don't really know exactly what all of that means other than it does seem to change the feel of the power at different speeds. I'm not the worlds fastest rider nor do I want to be. His issue with my xcw is that you have to use a lot of clutch when we get in to the really tight stuff. You know the stuff that all of the bark is off of the trees at handle bar hight for a half mile. I have geared down as far as possable 13&52 but still wants to run a little faster in the tight stuff than I want to go. Just wandering how slow it will go. Every one is trying go faster and I'm trying to go slower:ride:

I have heard great things about these bikes as well. I am thinking of a ktm 525 xc-g. With the xc model, I honestly do not believe you have to do any pipe mods, or carb adjustments; the ktm xc/xc-g models are out of the box race bikes. The exc models on the other hand, have to have few mods done to them in order for them to run at par level.

I have heard great things about these bikes as well. I am thinking of a ktm 525 xc-g. With the xc model, I honestly do not believe you have to do any pipe mods, or carb adjustments; the ktm xc/xc-g models are out of the box race bikes. The exc models on the other hand, have to have few mods done to them in order for them to run at par level.

Yes, the XC's are out of the box race bikes, but are jetted too lean out of the crate to get the CA green sticker cert. Rejet, and you're good to go!