Sign in to follow this  

First look at the new GMT900 HD's

Here's the first review I've seen of GM's new HD's :applause:

http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/2007/gm/firstdrive/hd/page1.html

Anyone planning to buy one of these? I'm usually slow to warm up to a new body style but these have won me over pretty quick. Got to check them out pretty close at a auto show last month and they're really nice. I've got no regrets at buying a GMT800 though, the lack of a manual tranny in the GMT900 doesnt sit well with me, hopefully GM rethinks that decision.

The look I like, but I refuse to buy anything in the first 24 months of any redesign-kinda leery about being a guinea pig like those poor bastards who bought the first 6.0L Powerstrokes.

yeah, the first year of any major redesign is usually kinda rocky, 2003 for the trailblazer is a fine example of that... it had a huge number of recalls in 03, and after that its turned out to be a great vehicle.

I really love the idea of having 2 entirely different dashes available in the GMT900... one for those that want a plush fancy car like interior and one for folks who want a rugged truck interior.

Here's the first review I've seen of GM's new HD's :applause:

http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/2007/gm/firstdrive/hd/page1.html.

CC, I think they look great. I like Chevrolets/GMC's and thought the Chevrolets got ugly in 2003 along wi th almost everything else they made. It looks like the design team was using block of clay and making designs with slashes from a machete on the clay blocks. All squared off, sharp etc. That is a good looking truck. I will be looking for a 12 foot cab/chassis for a flatbed. Probably get the diesel with 4WD, but a gas and 2WD is possible option also. I will look into these.

Chevy's got the truck market on lockdown in my opinion. I love my Dads new 2007 1500. So I can tell by hand on experience that the half ton is a great truck. And it seems as though the HD's will be stellar vehicles. My dad works at Richard Chevrolet in Chesire Connecticut. So come springtime when he takes one as a demo. I will be able to see how the new HD will tow our 27 foot Grady White.

The new diesel particulate filter system (Duramax platform) is particularly interesting. It’s a “regenerating” multi-stage filter that passes engine exhaust into a ceramic, honeycombed block, trapping the particulates after they’ve passed through an oxidizing catalyst. Sensors before and after the emissions system tell the DPF when there's too much back pressure from the soot load. To clean the filter the engine temperature is briefly raised to 1,022 degrees Fahrenheit to incinerate the trapped particles, thus regenerating the system for another round of filtering.

This scares me. What are the odds this contraption makes it to 190,000 miles without problems?

As I recall the first catalytic converters had major problems.

Hello guinea pigs.

bb

The new diesel particulate filter system (Duramax platform) is particularly interesting. It’s a “regenerating” multi-stage filter that passes engine exhaust into a ceramic, honeycombed block, trapping the particulates after they’ve passed through an oxidizing catalyst. Sensors before and after the emissions system tell the DPF when there's too much back pressure from the soot load. To clean the filter the engine temperature is briefly raised to 1,022 degrees Fahrenheit to incinerate the trapped particles, thus regenerating the system for another round of filtering.

This scares me. What are the odds this contraption makes it to 190,000 miles without problems?

As I recall the first catalytic converters had major problems.

Hello guinea pigs.

bb

Yep, thank your friendly local Treehugger. :applause:

The alternative to the regenerating particulate filter is the type that commercial trucks have that needs to be removed, dissassembled and sandblasted to clean it every 100,000 miles (on a big truck... probably MUCH more often on a pickup)

My first thought was that it looked like a Ford...only better!

I had the huge displeasure of guinea-pigging for the redesigned '94 Dodge Ram...which finally gave up it's last ghost just in time for me to guinea-pig the redesigned '99 Silverado....which I still have and love. My luck with trucks has taken the same course as my marriages...:applause:

Yep, thank your friendly local Treehugger. :applause:

The alternative to the regenerating particulate filter is the type that commercial trucks have that needs to be removed, dissassembled and sandblasted to clean it every 100,000 miles (on a big truck... probably MUCH more often on a pickup)

Unless you're like the wise ones who toss 'em in the trashcan as soon as you get the truck home.:lol:

I know of several '07 trucks that had their particulate scrubbers "fall off" in the first few hundred miles.:applause:

Unless you're like the wise ones who toss 'em in the trashcan as soon as you get the truck home.:cry:

I know of several '07 trucks that had their particulate scrubbers "fall off" in the first few hundred miles.:applause:

:lol: yeah I've got 2 or 3 vehicles in the driveway that the same thing happened to the cat converter and the smog pump... damndest thing.

hell even the EGR valve fell off my camaro. :applause:

I plan on keeping my 2004 international eagle with the good ol Cummins N14 under the hood as long as possible. I know a guy that just bought a new 07 daycab much like mine, he's BARELY getting 6mpg, I get right around 8 when the weathers good (not quite that good in the snow and ice over the last week)

I plan on keeping my 2004 international eagle with the good ol Cummins N14 under the hood as long as possible. I know a guy that just bought a new 07 daycab much like mine, he's BARELY getting 6mpg, I get right around 8 when the weathers good (not quite that good in the snow and ice over the last week)

Got ya beat there, I'm still running a 96 KW T600 with 60 series (far from stock) and approaching 1,300,000 miles in the next month.:applause:

She'll go to her grave when the frame snaps.

Your buddy that's getting 6 is a lucky man, not too many of the EGR and later motors are doing that well.

Got ya beat there, I'm still running a 96 KW T600 with 60 series (far from stock) and approaching 1,300,000 miles in the next month.:applause:

She'll go to her grave when the frame snaps.

Your buddy that's getting 6 is a lucky man, not too many of the EGR and later motors are doing that well.

yeah I know but we pull '48 wagons with light loads... mail doesnt wiegh much.

Pulling real loads he'd probably be getting 5 or worse. Sure glad those treehuggers are saving our environment by making us burn 50% more fuel. :applause:

Anyone else think the wheels look extremely small compared to the fenders?

gmt900hd2.jpg

no, not really. Thats what everyone says about the GMT800 too but I think it looks good with the stock wheels and tires. It'd deffinatly need bigger tires if ya lifted it but looks fine stock.

The problem is bigger tires have considerably lower weight capacity.. those 245's are damn stiff tires, lots of folks like the looks of 265s better but they'd lower the weight capacity.

yeah I know but we pull '48 wagons with light loads... mail doesnt wiegh much.

Pulling real loads he'd probably be getting 5 or worse. Sure glad those treehuggers are saving our environment by making us burn 50% more fuel. :applause:

I don't do heavy stuff anymore either, got rid of the rolling refrigerator and replaced it with a logistics (moving) van-blanket parties and logistics bars for me!

Me too, would have looked much better if they didn't try for the ground clearance, or placed the wheels a little farther out (widened the stance)

gmt900hd2.jpg

That's the way it seems to be with the stock HD 2500 & 3500SRW trucks. My '99 was delivered looking the same way only moreso, being 4WD. It was the same with the old '94 JunkBuggy Dodge Ram 2500 I had, too.

I sat in a 1LT a couple of weeks ago and was very impressed. Much better design than the outgoing GMT800's. It has an available Active Fuel Management 6.0L that's supposed to get 19 m.p.g. highway.

The truck I sat in was only a 1500 (with the microbox on the back) so I wasn't serious, just curious about the hype.

My only complaint is that the front bench (40/20/40) doesn't seem to be available in the 2LT or the LTZ. The front bench not only has storage in the arm rest but also under the seat as well.

I sat in a 1LT a couple of weeks ago and was very impressed. Much better design than the outgoing GMT800's. It has an available Active Fuel Management 6.0L that's supposed to get 19 m.p.g. highway.

The truck I sat in was only a 1500 (with the microbox on the back) so I wasn't serious, just curious about the hype.

My only complaint is that the front bench (40/20/40) doesn't seem to be available in the 2LT or the LTZ. The front bench not only has storage in the arm rest but also under the seat as well.

That's the exact mileage I've gotten with my 99 Silverado 4x4 2500 with the 6.0 since day one. 134,000 miles with no change in the mileage...

Everything I've read leads me to believe that the key to the mileage is the 3.73 rear end...

The look I like, but I refuse to buy anything in the first 24 months of any redesign-kinda leery about being a guinea pig like those poor bastards who bought the first 6.0L Powerstrokes.

Chickenhauler, I use to have a boss that believed just the opposite. He figured the first year was best as a lot of people were involved to make things went right plus he figured later models were worse due to all of the cost reduction programs put into place. A case can be made for either opinion.