Sign in to follow this  

Had my trailer broken into Friday night.

I have the dual rear doors (not the fold down ramp style) and instead of cutting the lock they actually cut the latch the the padlock went through. Good way to do it, it was much thinner and a very soft steel that looked like it cut pretty easily.

They didn't steal anything even though I had two motorcycles and a lot of gear inside. I wonder if they were scared off before they could finish the job or just didn't see anything they wanted? When I bought the trailer I removed all of the motorcycle stickers that were on it with the mindset that I didn't want to alert people to the fact that I had expensive motorcycles inside but now I'm wondering if that was a good idea. Anytime a thief sees an enclosed trailer they will probably guess there is something expensive inside, otherwise you wouldn't spend the money on an enclosed trailer. It seems to me that power tools and things like that that can be easily pawned or ebayed might be the most commonly desired items, so maybe I'm attracting more attention by not having motorcycle stickers on there.

Someone saw a guy casing my place the night before (but didn't tell me until the next day) in a blazer so he didn't come prepared with any method to haul motorcycles. I emptied the trailer immediately in case they try again.

Now I need to get my trailer door repaired and I'm wondering if there is a better method of locking it that isn't cut open so easily. Does anyone know of a hardened mechanism or a better/alternative locking mechanism? The latches that come stock on those doors are made out of a very soft/cheap steel that didn't look like it took much effort to cut with some bolt cutters. It's obviously the week link in the setup, not the padlock. Maybe I could find a good way to secure it from the inside (bar the door?) and then just exit out the side door? I don't know how secure those side door locks are but they look like if someone tried to force them the handle might just break before the door would open?

I have the dual rear doors (not the fold down ramp style) and instead of cutting the lock they actually cut the latch the the padlock went through. Good way to do it, it was much thinner and a very soft steel that looked like it cut pretty easily.

They didn't steal anything even though I had two motorcycles and a lot of gear inside. I wonder if they were scared off before they could finish the job or just didn't see anything they wanted? When I bought the trailer I removed all of the motorcycle stickers that were on it with the mindset that I didn't want to alert people to the fact that I had expensive motorcycles inside but now I'm wondering if that was a good idea. Anytime a thief sees an enclosed trailer they will probably guess there is something expensive inside, otherwise you wouldn't spend the money on an enclosed trailer. It seems to me that power tools and things like that that can be easily pawned or ebayed might be the most commonly desired items, so maybe I'm attracting more attention by not having motorcycle stickers on there.

Someone saw a guy casing my place the night before (but didn't tell me until the next day) in a blazer so he didn't come prepared with any method to haul motorcycles. I emptied the trailer immediately in case they try again.

Now I need to get my trailer door repaired and I'm wondering if there is a better method of locking it that isn't cut open so easily. Does anyone know of a hardened mechanism or a better/alternative locking mechanism? The latches that come stock on those doors are made out of a very soft/cheap steel that didn't look like it took much effort to cut with some bolt cutters. It's obviously the week link in the setup, not the padlock. Maybe I could find a good way to secure it from the inside (bar the door?) and then just exit out the side door? I don't know how secure those side door locks are but they look like if someone tried to force them the handle might just break before the door would open?

Here is the lock and mounting mechanism I use on my semi trailer, and I have yet to have anyone get into it- http://www.iowa80.com/iowa80/shop?method=product&prodid=10454

While it isn't cheap, and you can very likely find or make it much cheaper, you get the idea.

Here is some other ideas-http://www.transportsecurity.com/products.php?id=side-door-hasp

Very nice. That's exactly what I was looking for, thanks.

While it isn't cheap, it's a whole lot cheaper than everything else in my trailer :applause:

Very nice. That's exactly what I was looking for, thanks.

While it isn't cheap, it's a whole lot cheaper than everything else in my trailer :applause:

You could go about making one out of Stainless Steel angle iron (if you can find it), just be sure to have good drill bits on hand.

Mine was on my trailer new, so it was included in the sale, or I would have made one myself.

On the rvnet toyhauler site, someone mentioned locking or strapping the inside bikes-quads to the doors... It would make it harder to open the doors-ramp with something attached to the door itself..

Nick

lock all you want, but it does no good if the trailer itself is stolen, which has been the case here in the SF Bay Area. I have read several reports of stolen trailers and all of the equipment inside of them. In only one of those cases was the trailer and the bikes recovered.

Bottom line, if you can't store the trailer in a very secure place, then do not leave anything inside of it that you don't want to lose.