Sign in to follow this  

Has anyone tried this airbox fix??

So, last week I ordered one of those Pro Seals by PC Racing for my 450R. WHen I got it, I was suprised to see it how simple it was,a nd how much I paid for it. I installed it, but got the idea to try something similar for my sons CR85R.

I went to Home Depot and got a roll of Auto/Marine gasket material with the adhesive on one side. I degreased the inside of the airbox real good with brake cleaner and then alcohol. Then carefully applied the gasket directly onto the gold ring in the airbox. I installed the new air filter and it seems to be a nice fit.

I'm just tired of the pain in the ass of applying, then cleaning the mess the grease leaves behind. Has anyone else tried this???

airbox003b.jpg?t=1171935110

airbox004b.jpg?t=1171935197

I am getting ready to order a pro seal tommorrow, are they any good or does the home depot fix work better. looks pretty good by the way

Thanks

i tried those on my 01. i have since switched to moose air filters, along with the sealing gasket. they have a neoprene base instead of standard foam...aint nothing getting there except air...for the money, i would have to say they are the best going.

I am getting ready to order a pro seal tommorrow, are they any good or does the home depot fix work better. looks pretty good by the way

Thanks

I guess time will tell in how each of them hold up. I was just disappointed when I opened the Pro Seal package and it was a stick-on foam gasket. If it were half the price, I'd be ok with it....but $14 bucks? The only difference I see is that the Pro Seal product came pre-cut with no seam- one whole unit. My Home Depot Special, came in a roll, so I had to cut in my own seam.

I'm still going to check out that Moose product that was mentioned in the previous post.

I guess time will tell in how each of them hold up. I was just disappointed when I opened the Pro Seal package and it was a stick-on foam gasket. If it were half the price, I'd be ok with it....but $14 bucks? The only difference I see is that the Pro Seal product came pre-cut with no seam- one whole unit. My Home Depot Special, came in a roll, so I had to cut in my own seam.

I'm still going to check out that Moose product that was mentioned in the previous post.

The biggest differences that I can see from the photos is the HD material looks to have little "veins" that cause the surface to be uneven, or pourous, whereas the ProSeal is made of neoprene and is a much flatter smoother contact surface...

I have the PC seal on my CRF. Considering the cost of the damage it can prevent, $14 didn't even cause me to flinch...