Sign in to follow this  

Checking oil level

I know it sounds dumb.

I just bought a used 640 LC4e and do not have an owners manual.

I took the air cleaner panel off and oil came pouring out.

I am not sure if it is because the PO used motor oil in the air filter or the engine was over filled with motor oil.

So do I need to run the engine for 5 to 10 minutes then check the dipstick?

Yes run the engine for a while turn it off and check it after 5 mins standing.

If I remember right...Oil level on LCy's is checked with the dip stick screwed ALL THE WAY IN and the bike level..ie not on side stand.

Correct:applause:

OK so I have the carburetor off right now and can not check the oil level cold then. It appears to be about half way up the dipstick or a half inch above the full mark. I know there is a big write up in advrider on how to burp the LC4 when you change the oil.

Ok I have just checked my oil with the bike upright and cold and the oil was about 6/8 of an inch above the full marker on the dipstick when screwed in so this should give you an idea. The thread about changing the oil and burping the frame is worth a look, I printed it out and followed the instructions for my first LC4 oil change and it went without a hitch.

Sorry for bringing this 2 year old thread back to life, but the subject line is an 100% match with my question, so I figued this would be a good place to have the answer.

The manual states to start the bike and let it run for 5 minutes before checking the oil level.

What if I had been riding for several hours, pull into camp, and want to check it then ... would I get the same reading as running for 5 minutes?

I'm guessing the 5 minutes thing is just basically a number to say make sure it has run for a while and the oil is circulating well.

I just picked up the bike and will be going on some multi day rides, so I'd rather check it as I finish up the day (or during the day at gas stations) vs. in the AM and doing the 5 minute thing.

So ... would the level after 2-3 hours or running be at the same point as after 5 minutes of running?

Thanks!

Yes, but let the bike sit for a few minutes before checking it. Meaning don't ride for 3 hours, get off and than check it right away, wait a few minutes and than check. :)