Sign in to follow this  

Over the boot or under the boot

Its time for a new set of riding pants. The last pair i had were oneal under the boot, and can't say enough good things about them, but after last weekend, its time to move on. Riding lots of sand/desert, the only problem i had with under the boot, was that after 10 minutes of riding in the dunes, my boots were packed full of sand. Im not sure if over the boot would help solve this problem. And what other opinions do you folks have on over the boot vs under the boot pants.

Yeah, sand in the boot is annoying. But that has never happened to me with my boots. They seal quite nicely at the top to keep out dirt and water. I wear SIDI crossfires.

Regarding the pants, I would go for the "in the boot" model. I am just more used to them. But pants are pants. If you do get the over the boot model, be sure to get extra thick mx socks. Those boot rubbing against your bare skin will annoy you to death.

I have one pair of over the boot for muddy/rainy riding, other than for those reasons I wear under the boot. Over the boot w/ duct tape or big rubber band at the bottom will keep any thing out. If you get over the boot make sure you get the waist size just right or you will be stopping :applause: in the middle of a race to pull up your pants. Just from my experience.:applause:

I have worn 'in the boots' for years. I even remember wearing 2 pairs of socks and rolling the outer sock over the boot, back in the 70's! :applause: I got a pair of 'over the boots' last year and love them for trail riding. I still use the 'in the boot' for racing just because I have a few pairs of pants now, but once I wreck those I'll get 'over the boots' again. Up here in Oregon it get muddy and they sure beat duct tape or gators.

I have been riding in the dunes for years and also experienced the annoying "sand in the boot" you were speaking about. I switched to over the boot pants and love it. I don't get any sand in my boots and they are very comfortable. You will need to get taller socks to protect your legs, but thats it (it also ends up keeping your boots a lot cleaner and cuts down on wear..) Good luck.

In the boot is best and safer than over the boot. You can catch the open pant leg on the peg. That is why the AMA doesn't allow over the boot pants in pro racing MX.

Dwight

In the boot is best and safer than over the boot. You can catch the open pant leg on the peg. That is why the AMA doesn't allow over the boot pants in pro racing MX.

Dwight

An excellent point that I had not considered. I currently have two pairs of 'in the boot' pants, but have been looking at the over the boot style, primarily because of all the various offerings that have pockets. So far, I haven't spotted any 'in the boot' pants that have the pockets...anyone know of any???

(Dwight, are you coming to Georgia for the General GNCC and the TT ride day?)

An excellent point that I had not considered. I currently have two pairs of 'in the boot' pants, but have been looking at the over the boot style, primarily because of all the various offerings that have pockets. So far, I haven't spotted any 'in the boot' pants that have the pockets...anyone know of any???

(Dwight, are you coming to Georgia for the General GNCC and the TT ride day?)

Sorry, No, it isn't on my schedule. I will be at most SERA events, a few Nat'ls and a couple Vintage events like the Ark. 2 Day Vintage Qualifier in Apirl , and the Barber's Cross Country in Oct. and the ISDTR in Oct.

I hope to have my new bike ready by the 2 Day Qualifier. I may only ride Day 2 as it is the only day that it is a SERA enduro . I thought about riding a Vintage bike on Day 1.

Dwight

i got a zippered leg over the boot pant.

I love the fact that it has pockets.

When i ride offroad i used to wear it. But now i use it for sx as a short.

It is way comfy, you feel pretty loose at the doubles and stuff.

It is also very hot out here, so boots kneeguards and shorts at the track. Over the boot pants at the trail... keeps the mud, cowshit, water and all the stuff you may find outdoors outside.

I was hesitant about the over the boot also, but our last race was nasty-muddy so I tried them out. The pants (ARC water proof, foul weather) kept the mud and water away from my feet and legs, BUT with the deep ruts and slick conditions my feet were holding me up more than on the pegs, just like Dwight said, I caught them on the pegs more than once. I figured when the race was over they would be shreaded. They held up great and all the zippers still zipped. I think I will wear them again in cold, muddy conditions. One more thing, they have plenty of pockets for rags and stuff, that was very helpfull. All the zippers have velcro flaps for extra protection. They come with excellent pads also. And my knee braces fit good. Man I need a ARC sponsership after that.

Sorry, No, it isn't on my schedule. I will be at most SERA events, a few Nat'ls and a couple Vintage events like the Ark. 2 Day Vintage Qualifier in Apirl , and the Barber's Cross Country in Oct. and the ISDTR in Oct. I hope to have my new bike ready by the 2 Day Qualifier. I may only ride Day 2 as it is the only day that it is a SERA enduro . I thought about riding a Vintage bike on Day 1.

Dwight

An enduro on a vintage...that would have to be interesting!

Sorry that you won't be able to make the General, I'll try to have some video footage of Mr. Barr, though!

I ride a few organised trail tours each year, usually 3-4 days. The accomodation doesn't usually have drying facilities and if I'm there then I'm riding, rain hail or whatever. Putting on wet pants for a days ride ain't fun so I looked at over-the-boot pants. I had some years ago and like someone said they tended to fall down and they hooked up on the bike. I found some Spidi pants with bib and braces :applause: I only wear them in the rain and then the bib helps keep me warm and dry, the braces keep 'em up and the velcro closure on the legs keeps them tight over the boots. They have good ABS knee and thigh armour, are tough as nails and 100% waterproof. Both the pants and my fully armoured Teknic jacket (and me for that matter) have survived several mishaps without serious damage, including a 60mph skate down a gravel road. They also have a removable thermal liner which I never use (you'd only need it below freezing). The only problem I find with them is that the cordura is a bit slippery, I wish they had a rubber pad on the arse (some do) and it's surprising how much grip you normally get on the bike with the inside of your boots...

I hope to have my new bike ready by the 2 Day Qualifier. I may only ride Day 2 as it is the only day that it is a SERA enduro . I thought about riding a Vintage bike on Day 1.

Dwight

New bike mate? tell us more.

An enduro on a vintage...that would have to be interesting!

Dude, hate to burst your bubble but there was a time when.....

Dude, hate to burst your bubble but there was a time when.....

Working on building a XCF-W 250 to a 315cc light weight torque monster.

Should be fun,

Dwight

Like everybody has said, over the boot for trail riding. Great for keeping the mud, sand or water out. Plus lots of pockets for goggle cloths, spare gloves, energy bars etc. In the boot for racing, probably safer plus they just plain look better.

Working on building a XCF-W 250 to a 315cc light weight torque monster.

Should be fun,

Dwight

Cool, that'd be bore, stroke and carb then?

Dwight, I've got the '07 XCF-W 250 at 236lbs, the '06 SX-F 250 at 217lbs, that doesn't sound right.... Same engine?

Dude, hate to burst your bubble but there was a time when......

Have no fear, I have full and total recall of those days...I must admit, however to being spoiled by the technology at hand...

Have no fear, I have full and total recall of those days...I must admit, however to being spoiled by the technology at hand...

Oh yes, better, but not an order of magnitude better than what we had 20 years ago. Think the biggest improvement (here anyway) came in the late sixties/mid seventies, we went from things like a (shudder) 125 BSA Bushman to some damn fine European bikes and the first Jap purpose-built MX bikes like the TMs and CRs.

I have worn 'in the boots' for years. I even remember wearing 2 pairs of socks and rolling the outer sock over the boot, back in the 70's! :applause: I got a pair of 'over the boots' last year and love them for trail riding. I still use the 'in the boot' for racing just because I have a few pairs of pants now, but once I wreck those I'll get 'over the boots' again. Up here in Oregon it get muddy and they sure beat duct tape or gators.

Have you ever tried wearing Carharts in the winter (since your here in Oregon too)?? I love 'em...you stay warm and dry unless you take a lot of direct water and since they zip up the sides they're super easy to get over knee braces & boots, and a hot 4-stroke pipe doesn't melt them like some of the guys I know.:applause: