Sign in to follow this  

How Tall Are TE Riders?

I'm about 5'8" and just picked up my TE510 yesterday. I only rode it in the parking lot of the dealer, and heat cycled it last night. I'm slightly apprehensive about the seat height 'cause I can only tippy toe it.

The dealer tech told me he could lower the suspension by up to two inches by adding travel limiters. I doubt I'll take him up on his offer, since it reduces ground clearance by the same amount. He did say that the suspension takes a a little while to break-in and the sag should increase. He recommends setting the fork suspension in the soft range until it breaks in.

I'm very excited about the new bike. I bought Acerbis guards, and I am thinking of getting the heat shield for the exhaust.

6' but I don't find the riding height an issue at all... standing up on the pegs without bar risers is a huge issue.

I wear a 35" sleeve and couldn't stand on the pegs for longer than a few hundred yards without bar risers on the '05 450. I got some bar risers from BRP and between those and aftermarket bars got a 2.6" rise which is tolerable but I wouldn't mind an extra half inch.

Can anyone tell me how dirt bikes are supposed to fit? In terms of knee angle when sitting down, arm position when standing, etc? I'm 6'4" w/ 34" inseam and have an '06 TE250 with a tall seat. I don't have enough confidence in my experience to quickly judge what feels "better" when changing things around.

I'm 6'3", currently have the stock bars with the stock bar riser in and the clamps rotated to the forward position. I am getting the Answer ATV hi bars - will report back. From a Scott Harden camp instructor, I was told that when standing (slight flex to knees) the grips should fall comfortably in to the palm of the hand. I would guess I am 3 to 4" off that now, which makes riding while standing difficult for any duration. Hope this is helpful.

Chris

Can anyone tell me how dirt bikes are supposed to fit? In terms of knee angle when sitting down, arm position when standing, etc? I'm 6'4" w/ 34" inseam and have an '06 TE250 with a tall seat. I don't have enough confidence in my experience to quickly judge what feels "better" when changing things around.

6'3" tall seat, brp upper clamps with tall mounts, pro taber windham bend bars, finaly fits great for distance rides/races

Can anyone tell me how dirt bikes are supposed to fit?

When I first bought my mountain bike ('93)I couldn't understand how anyone could ride with those low bars. After a couple months they became my best friend. The answer is how & where you ride. The more technical your riding, the lower your bars allow you to plant & aim the front end. As you go faster straight line geometry & stability comes into effect. Others may differ on this theory so it's only my 2 cents.

My opinion on setup is I like my back straight when standing and the bars at the hight of my palms with slightly bent elbows and slightly bent knees,mainly for comfort,if you are straining anywhere then it fatigues you faster and causes arm pump,same when running if you are clinching mussels you will cramp quicker.It also helps to have a seat height that allows quick and easy movement from seated to standing that does not in my case require

too much knee effort.BTW I am 5,11,and have a 1inch spacer under the std bars,1 inch thicker seat padding and the suspending lowered both ends 1 inch,with 1 line on the forks and 100mm sag.So when you take out all the 1inch stuff on mine stand settings are very close for the average height,except for the adventage of the more comfortable extra seat padding,easier on the back and easier to push to a stand with bad knees.

5'10" and on tip toes when sitting still. Very uncomfortable when trying to manuever thru the trees at slow speeds, have fallin a few times, about as many times as over the bars! I may shave my seat? Although I think body weight has something to do w/ the ride height, I'm only 180lbs,some of the heavier guys I beleive would cause more sag.

:applause::lol: BE VERY CAREFULL

On a 2007 TE 450 a lowering link requires modifying the swing arm (grinding away 1/4" or more) to make room for the spring/shock. The bellcrank that connects the link to the shock clevis may also need to be relieved.

And good luck with the grease fitting design.

I'm sure its a viable alternative for other models but.............

By far the best way is to have a good suspension shop like ESP lower the forks and shock properly maintaining the stock geometries.

You've been warned.

I just installed Kouba lowering links on my 07 TE510 and yes, you are correct about having to relieve the swing arm and bell crank. A 4 inch grinder makes quick work of it. I'm 5-9 and tall seats have never been a problem before but this one was uncomfortably high for me. (plus I'm just getting old!) The 1/2 inch longer links dropped the seat height about 1 1/4 inch and feels better for me. I dropped the forks about 1/2 inch and my initial impressions is the bike still "sits" and feels right. I think I lost about 1 inch of ground clearance, but it still looks like more clearance than my DRZ.

:applause: 5'11" At first felt awfully tall. Am getting used to it. I push it out the garage and point it in the direction I want to go. Once on the bike really comfortable.

6' 0" numb bum, hard foam I suppose. Just don't be on the other side of the bike when I get on, you may get a boot in the teeth.

And I thought I was the only one that sometimes puts a foot down into air on uneven ground and then falls off - much to the amusement of my mates. I am 5'10 and like the height except for... I am going to raise the bars a bit though.

I'm 5'8" and except for my '03 TE610E, I have A.C.E. Suspension/Bottones lower my bikes 1.5". You lose a little ground clearence, but bike handles better in tight and off camber stuff. I've had a TE400, WR250 and WR125 all done. I rode the WR250 for 4 years before I had it done and wish I did it sooner.

Norman

I am now 5'-9" but I shrank from 5'-11" after three fractured and compressed vertebrae from a head on with a car. More important than overall height is stand over clearance. My 06 TE50 felt tall at first but now that the suspension has broken in it fits good.

Can someone explain how the seat hight lowers after the suspendion gets broken in,if you set the sag when new at 100mm and then check it after brake in and the sag is then lower surely you need more preload on the spring,

the sag should be 100mm and the seat hight should still be the same new or

run in with time.