Adjusted the valves and now it sounds like a bearing is Failing

My son has a crf50

I was getting it ready for a late winter ride

New Spark plug, Airfilter clean, changed oil

Adjusted valves

Now it has a little smoke coming out of the exhaust

and it sounds fine at idle but when I give it a little gas

it sounds like a bearing is about to sieze.

And I pulled the plug and it has burned oil on it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Make sure you did the valve adjustment correctly...make sure you used the correct heat range and size plug. Burned oil is no big deal on a stock 50 as they are rich from the factory on purpose...better rich than lean anyday when durability is taken into account over performance. I dont think there is anything wrong with it provided you performed the oil changes every now and then and that it DID NOT RUN LOW ON OIL. Recheck the valve adjustment and the plug and list your findings.

and make sure that when you adjsut valves the bike is COMPLETELY cold... let it sit over night and adjust them..any heat in the engine will make the valves too tight

as for the sound of a bearing about to sieze, that baffles me

and a little smoke here and there is not too abnormal, i've seen some smoke right from the dealer... but one thing that goes out fairly easy on these bikes ( especially if run in 1st gear hard for long times) is that the exhaust valkve seal will go bad

and make sure that when you adjsut valves the bike is COMPLETELY cold... let it sit over night and adjust them..any heat in the engine will make the valves too tight

metal expands when heated

did you happen to remove the front cover?(held on by 4 10mm nuts, 3acorn 1open)

metal expands when heated

did you happen to remove the front cover?(held on by 4 10mm nuts, 3acorn 1open)

i know the theory of metal expansion and contraction with temperature change, but the one time i let my bike idle for about 30 seconds and then remembered i wanted to set the valves, i set them "loose" (.004) and they still were dead quiet and the bike wouldn't make any good power untill it was really hot and had been run for a long time. so i know they weren't too loose or i would have been able to hear them. maybe it has something to do with there being a several parts that expand other than jsut the valves and tappets, but set you valves when the bieks even slightly warm once nad you'll see what i mean :applause:

take off the cam sprocket cover, the cam sprocket may be hitting it. there is a bolt with a 12mm hex that runs from the right side of the motor, through the cam, and holds that round cover on.

i have a feeling the cam got moved when the nuts holding the topend together were removed.

take off the cam sprocket cover, the cam sprocket may be hitting it. there is a bolt with a 12mm hex that runs from the right side of the motor, through the cam, and holds that round cover on.

i have a feeling the cam got moved when the nuts holding the topend together were removed.

Thanks for your help, Boozer rides again.

(the boy calls the fitty Boozer cause thats the only bike Dad rides when he Drinks)

Your the man

:applause: