Sign in to follow this  

Inverters, Converters, Need Help....

My trailer is already wired for 110V, it has 2 outlets and 2 shop lights from the factory.

I'm wanting to use a deep-cycle battery to run the accessories. I have a generator, but don't want to use it all the time. My question is, what kind of converter (or is it an inverter?) should I get? and how do I wire it? Do they make an instruction book for this kind of thing? Any advice is appreciated, I'm not that great with electrical stuff.

you'll need an invertor to run your 115v stuff with your deep cycle when the

generators off. Then charge your battery with you generator when using it.

The easiest is to just to plug into your invertor or generator, which ever one you want to use.

The invertors will advertise there working load on it. You need to find out how many amps you'll need.

we have a toy hauler and this is what we have done

4 6 volt batts, convertor and a 2000watt invertor and a 150watt solar panel

we can vacuum, watch tv, charge cell phones even run the microwave!. the solar keeps its all charged with out the gen. even at night it all runs. we run the gen once in a while but thats all!

My trailer is already wired for 110V, it has 2 outlets and 2 shop lights from the factory.

I'm wanting to use a deep-cycle battery to run the accessories. I have a generator, but don't want to use it all the time. My question is, what kind of converter (or is it an inverter?) should I get? and how do I wire it? Do they make an instruction book for this kind of thing? Any advice is appreciated, I'm not that great with electrical stuff.

OK, you will need both a converter and an inverter. As for which size inverter, depends on what you want to run. I use a 1000 Xantrex or something like that. Its rated for 2000 watts, 1000 continous. But you must use the proper wire size to take advantage of its output. Mine required 6 AWG. As for converter, you will ned that to charge the battery when on shore power plus act as a power supply for the 12 volt systems. My converter was a 60 amp, also uses 6 AWG wire. To simplify things, run a seperate outlet for the inverter 110VAC system, too complicated trying to get it to run on the same system you have now.

Go to RV.net and look under toy hauler -> modifications. You will find posts that have diagrams how to do what you want. If you are not very good (comfortable) with electrical I would suggest paying the $300 that it will cost to install as a bad short will cost much more. Do not get me wrong it's not rocket science. Also it is not that much harder to wire to existing system and then all your 115V jacks can become hot from your batteries. Just my two cents.:applause: